Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a98, i70, RayControl installation issues
08-09-16, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-16 01:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
a98, i70, RayControl installation issues
I have installed a new a98, a second i70 and an Android tablet as a below-decks repeater, and have hit some issues which didn't work according to Raymarine documentation. A circuit diagram is attached showing how all instruments are powered, and a network diagram is attached showing how network signals (Seatalk, STNG, NMEA 0183 etc) are interconnected. I have upgraded all firmware which would take an upgrade, such that the current situation is:

a98: v17.45-00403, S/N E70233
i70: 1.25 S/N 1221266
i70: 2.18 S/N 1250133
E22158: 2.01 S/N 0831310

The upgrades of the a98, the E22158 and one i70 were successful. The upgrade of one i70 and the SPX5 failed, with an error message saying "no update found". I have no idea why one i70 failed, except that it is several years older than the one that successfully upgraded. I am guessing the SPX5 failed because it is only connected to the network via Seatalk and NMEA 0183, not STNG. If this is the case, can you please tell me how to connect the SPX5 to STNG - it will require ordering a STNG stub cable and connecting wires of various colors to the four STNG terminals on the SPX5. I cannot find any documentation that explains which wire color goes to which terminal.

The port diagnostics page on the a98 shows that NMEA 0183 sentences are being received on both ports 1 and 2, but there is no indication that the a98 is using this data. I noted that before I upgraded to R17, the a98 showed HDG coming from the SPX5 on the NMEA 0183 port, but after the upgrade to R17, it no longer shows this - it only shows the slower 1 Hz HDG data coming from the E22158. So it appears that R17 disabled NMEA 0183 data, or something like that.

The RayViewer app works fine on the Android tablet and does what it is supposed to. But when I try to download the RayControl app, I get an error message from the Google Play store saying that this app is not available in my country (Canada). Is there some way I can get the RayControl app in Canada?

In summary, the issues I hope you can help with are listed below, in rough order of priority:
- a98 does not make use of NMEA 0183 data it receives on ports 1 and 2
- how do I download the Raycontrol app in Canada
- if STNG is a better way of getting 5 Hz HDG data from the SPX5 to the a98, and the software update from the a98 to the SPX5, then I need some documentation on what wire colors to connect to the SPX5
- how do I upgrade the software on the one i70 that failed to upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help with these issues.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-16, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-16 01:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: a98, i70, RayControl installation issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Doug,

Your diagram incorrectly shows the X5 autopilot course computer being interfaced to the SeaTalk bus which is in turn interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Instead,
- the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from the X5 Autopilot Course Computer. The X5 Autopilot Course Computer will then be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (maximum length is 5m). See the autopilot course computer's installation guide for information regarding how to connect a SeaTalkng Spur Cable to the autopilot course computer. The unpowered SeaTalk bus which will then include the ST6002 and ST40 will then be interfaced to the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
- Additionally, the NMEA 0183 output terminals of the autopilot course computer will be disconnected from the MFD's NMEA 0183 input leads, as the MFD will now receive high rate heading data via SeaTalkng.
- Upon making this change, it should then also be possible to update the X5 course computer's software. Occasionally, one may encounter problems updating a SeaTalkng device's software in such cases, it is recommended that one attempt the update a couple of additional times before proceeding with reduction of the SeaTalkng backbone's spurs to including only the MFD and the device to be updated.

Raymarine product documents for the X5 autopilot course computer may be found here.

This is the first such report received concerning the Google Play Store download of RayControl app ... from any country ... unless the app was not compatible with the Android device. The problem may be related to the specs (screen size, etc.) of the tablet not meeting those of the app. Please indicate the make and model of Android tablet being used.
08-09-16, 02:05 PM
Chuck, thanks for the reply with encouraging comments.

It will take several weeks to order a STNG stub cable and install it for the SPX5; for now I will assume your solution will work to get fast heading from the SPX5 to the a98, as well as permit software upgrades to the SPX5.

The Android device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, model SM-T230NU, Android version 4.4.2. I get the same error message from Google Play if I attempt to download the app to a Windows 10-based laptop (although obviously, there is no way of running the app on the laptop). I had no difficulty downloading the RayViewer app from Google Play onto the Android device.

Can you comment on why the NMEA 0183 GPS data isn't being used on the other a98 NMEA port to provide a backup GPS feed? It seems as though the R17 upgrade stopped the a98 from making use of the NMEA 0183 data. Also, any ideas why one i70 would not upgrade its software?

Again, thanks for your support.
08-09-16, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-16 03:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Doug,

Q1. The Android device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, model SM-T230NU, Android version 4.4.2. I get the same error message from Google Play if I attempt to download the app to a Windows 10-based laptop (although obviously, there is no way of running the app on the laptop). I had no difficulty downloading the RayViewer app from Google Play onto the Android device.
A1. The Raymarine apps are most definitely not intended/supported for use on PCs. The tablet appears to meet the specs of the RayControl app, in all but Android operating system version. It is recommended that the tablet updated accordingly and that the download be attempted again. Should the problem persist, then please respond accordingly and Raymarine's engineering team will be contacted to determine whether there may be any current issue with the Google App store in downloading the RayControl app within Canada. In the interim, you may want to try downloading the app from the Amazon app store (Apps & Games).

A2. Can you comment on why the NMEA 0183 GPS data isn't being used on the other a98 NMEA port to provide a backup GPS feed? It seems as though the R17 upgrade stopped the a98 from making use of the NMEA 0183 data.
A2. NMEA 0183 communications has been verified to be unaffected by the R17 software update. The MFD's NMEA 0183 port settings must be configured to match the BAUD rate of the NMEA 0183 sources being interfaced to the MFD. That said, the MFD's Data sources feature should be used to select the data source to be used when more then one source of any specific type of data is present within the system. Should concerns such has you have voiced occur, verification should be performed by:
- inspecting the MFD's NMEA 0183 ports to verify receipt (RX) of NMEA 0183 sentences containing the data item of interest
- temporarily disconnecting or switching OFF secondary sources of the same type of data ... in this case, temporarily disconnect the MFD from the SeaTalkng backbone.
- verifying whether the corresponding data item(s) are being populated by examining these items within the MFD's Databar, Databoxes, or Data application panels.

Q3. Also, any ideas why one i70 would not upgrade its software?
A3. This was addressed within my initial response. A busy SeaTalkng backbone can cause such occurrences. When this problem is encountered, it is recommended that one attempt the update a couple of additional times before proceeding with reduction of the SeaTalkng backbone's spurs to including only the MFD and the device to be updated.
08-09-16, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Chuck. I will implement the proposed solutions. It will take some time before I can post if everything is resolved or not. Ball is in my court.

Thanks for the support.
08-09-16, 03:37 PM
You're welcome.
08-09-16, 05:30 PM
RayControl/Android issue is resolved. Updating the Android operating system didn't make any difference. But when testing, I discovered that the problem was that I was going to the Raymarine page, to the software product page, and clicking through to the Google Play store to download the app. With this approach to download it fails every time. But if I click on the Google Play app on the Android device and look up Raymarine apps, the RayControl app downloads through the Google Play app without any issue. I just tested it and it works perfectly. I am a very happy camper.

I also confirmed that the wiring connections for STNG to the SPX5 are indeed fully documented in the SPX5 installation manual, just as you indicated. Somehow I overlooked it. My apologies for suggesting I needed help when in fact I just needed to read the manual more carefully.

Thanks.
08-10-16, 01:00 PM
You're welcome.
08-14-16, 05:50 PM
Data on both NMEA 0183 ports is being received and used by the a98. It appears that I did not wait long enough for all devices to fully boot, and for satellite sync to occur on the older backup Navman GPS chartplotter. User error on my part.

I used the a98 for the last two days, and am very pleased with its operation, including new functions in R17 such as SonarCharts Live. I expect the only remaining issues will be resolved when I convert the SPX-5 to STNG at some point in the future. Therefore, I am closing this thread.

Thanks for the support.
08-15-16, 08:41 AM
You're welcome.