Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S1000 smart pilot to A78
07-31-16, 06:38 AM
S1000 smart pilot to A78
Which cable(S) if any are needed to hook-up a S1000 AP to an A78?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-16, 03:20 PM
RE: S1000 smart pilot to A78
Hello Ubettcha,
In order to interface the S1000 to the a78 MFD you will need to purchase a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNg converter kit. Raymarine Part# E22158
08-16-16, 08:11 PM
I'm getting a no link message when I try to start up my S1000 for the first time. I have wired it as such Course computer is powered to the house battery via fused link to switch provided. Pump is plugged into course computer and ground is direct to battery ground. Data out I removed the plug to access the nema connecting wires and have spliced them to the Seatalk ng wire with the yellow connector. Red/red yellow/yellow and black to uninsulated ground wire This is plugged into the converter block. I then ran a white spur cable from the block to the A78 withblanking plugs in the 3 unused ports. My LED blinks correctly when I power the GPS long then 3 short.
When I press the S100 I do not have any indicator bars above the signal indicator and I get the no link message.
What do I need to do to make this work?? The engine was off boaton the trailer.
08-17-16, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-16 09:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ubettcha:

There should have been no need to remove the DB9 plug from the autopilot's Data Cable, as this plug is used to interface the S1000 to a NMEA 0183 source of GPS data ... see the diagram below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=530]

The MFD will be interfaced to a white spur socket of the SeaTalkng backbone (should one be installed onboard) or of the SeaTalkng Converter via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The yellow and shield leads of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be spliced to the yellow and black SeaTalk leads of the S1000 Data Cable respectively. The red SeaTalk leads of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable and S1000 Data Cable will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable's yellow plug will then be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's yellow SeaTalk socket. If the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not interfaced to a powered SeaTalkng backbone, then the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit using the SeaTalkng Power Cable packaged with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalkng backbone must be properly terminated (i.e. one blue SeaTalkng Termination Plug inserted into the unused blue backbone socket at each end of the backbone).

As the S1000 is dependent upon GPS data, the a78 MFD (or GPS sensor which has been interfaced to the a78) must be receiving sufficient GPS satellite signal for it to acquire a GPS position FIX. Accordingly, the system should be tested under conditions permitting the a78 MFD to plot the vessel's position.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-17-16, 07:18 PM
When I powered the way you describe I do not get the proper led light signal. I get the 4on/off sequence with the gps powered and w/gps fix The way I described above is only way I see the correct sequence.
08-18-16, 09:25 AM
ubettcha,

Should the only SeaTalkng devices be the MFD and the ST-STng Converter, then you may want to try disconnecting the SeaTalkng Power Cable from the ST-STng Converter. After doing so, splice the red lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable to the red SeaTalk lead of the S1000 Data Cable, thereby permitting the autopilot's SeaTalk communications interface to power the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that the S1000 and its Data Cable be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.