Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radar Compatible with a series MFD (a98)?
08-16-16, 12:51 PM
Radar Compatible with a series MFD (a98)?
Please help me choose a compatible Radar for the a98 MFD.

On the boat I recently bought, I have just installed a new Raymarine a98 MFD . I soon discovered the old (non digital) Radar (SL70 Pathfinder version) on board is not compatible with the MFD.

The primary reason I bought the MFD is for Chartplotting so I am not overly disappointed to discover this since my intention was to update to an MFD that allowed for modernizing the various navigation aids on board anyway.

I want to replace the radar with a Raymarine radar that easily installs and works with the a98 MFD "out of the box".
I see these options at the Ontario Chandlers in my area.

* Raymarine E70210 Quantum Q24C Wireless CHIRP Radar
* Raymarine T70243 Quantum Q24C
* Raymarine E92130 RD418D 4kw Radome
* Raymarine E92132 RD424D 4kw Radome
* Raymarine E92143 RD424HD 4kw Radome

The information available to me suggests that first one (with WIFI/Chirp) appears to be compatible. The others claim to be compatible with c series and e series... but make no mention of "a series" MFDs.

Can you help me avoid an expensive mistake?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-16, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-16 04:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Radar Compatible with a series MFD (a98)?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sunstrike NZ,

Any of Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, including your a98 MFD, may be used with any of Raymarine's currently manufactured radomes or open array pedestals. Correspondingly, any of the radomes which you have listed may be used with an a98 MFD. The package of E92130 RD418D 4kw Radome, E92132 RD424D 4kw Radome, and E92143 RD424HD 4kw Radome do not include a Digital Radar Cable. Accordingly, a Raymarine Digital Radar Cable of appropriate length must be separately purchased for these radomes.
08-16-16, 08:08 PM
Thanks Chuck.

So add the Digital Cable and I'm good to go.

Cheers
08-17-16, 08:14 AM
You're welcome.