Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV1 FAILING
08-17-16, 12:01 PM
EV1 FAILING
Hello
I have 2xi70, p70, EV1, ACU and a E120classic.
The system has worked well for 2 seasons but recently my course computer has been playing up.
The compass offset is all over the place.
I align compass to gps audit holds for a while but appears to wander off after any heading change.
I have checked and there is no no new pieces of metal anywhere near the EV 1 location.
The system switches from mag to true all by itself.
To me its like i am getting erratic deviation or variation inputs for no reason, is there a solution or do i need the EV1 replaced?

As an aside, i installed a Ray70 last winter, i get AIS contacts on my I70 but nothing on my E120, the symbol for AIS has a red line through it - do i have a compatibility problem?

thank you
Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-16, 10:31 AM
RE: EV1 FAILING
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ifmdlvey,

It is recommended that you verify that the Evolution autopilot components (EV-1, ACU, and p70/p70R have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, as early software for the EV-1 may produce the symptom reported when inaccurate speed data is supplied to the autopilot. After doing so, it is recommended that the location of the EV-1 Sensor Core be inspected to ensure that all objects capable of producing a magnetic field (ex. ferrous materials (anchor, tools, tin cans, etc.), electric motors (mascerators, pumps, winches, refrigeration compressors, etc.), high current carrying conductors, etc.) have not been located within at least 3' of the heading sensor. Updating the Evolution Autopilot's software will necessitate that a Pilot Factory Reset (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET) be performed, followed by the Dockside Wizard. The Evolution autopilot software update and subsequent Pilot Factory Reset will cause deviation data stored within the autopilot to be deleted, necessitating that the autopilot once again create its deviation table and report the maximum detected deviation. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Should the autopilot problem persist following the software update and the EV-1 Sensor Core not be affected magnetic fields from objects such as those specified above, then it would be recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

Regarding the reported AIS issue, unlike the i70 MFIDs, the E-Series Classic MFDs are not designed to process SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 PGNs featuring AIS data. Correspondingly, the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 lead/terminals of AIS receivers/transceivers must be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable, the MFD's Port 1 must be configured to "AIS 38400", the Chart application's AIS Objects Layer must be configured ON, and the MFD must be receiving a GPS position FIX.
08-19-16, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the reply Chuck, the AIS should be easy to check.

As for the EV1, i can assure you that the very first thing i did was check for any metal objects that may have moved position, there were none.
I will try and do a software update but have not previously been able to accomplish that through the E120. That alone would not explain that it worked great for two seasons and then suddenly stops working or causing problems, i am therefore a bit skeptical of that solution.
08-19-16, 07:38 AM
ifmdlvey,

As indicated within my initial response, early EV-1/2 Sensor Core software was dependent upon having accurate speed through water data. Very inaccurate speed though water data, such as may be encountered with a fouled paddlewheel, would cause the Evolution autopilots to exhibit symptoms such as you have reported. Within later software revisions, should the EV-1/2 detect inaccurate speed, then GPS SOG would be used by the autopilot. The Evolution autopilot software updates additionally included a configuration setting to specify whether Speed or SOG would be used by the autopilot.
08-19-16, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-16 08:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck
What i thought was easy first, the AIS.
The port was set to AIS 38400 BAUD and the chart layers had AIS on. The AIS symbol at the top right of my screen still has a red cross through AIS and NO AIS written underneath.

I have checked my software issues and they are all out of date, once i get those updated, i will get back to you about the EV1, I hear what you are saying about a speed failure, i have a data bar with both speed and SOG always displayed and had no problem, i would also notice that type of problem with my true and apparent wind display but that also was working correctly last time out.
08-22-16, 08:40 AM
Ian,

Is the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable interfaced only to the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 leads of the AIS receiver / transceiver? If not, then you will need to do so, as the E-Series Classic MFDs are not designed to process SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 PGNs featuring AIS data. If the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable alone has been interfaced to the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 leads of the AIS receiver / transceiver, then please specify the make/mode of AIS receiver / transceiver which has been interfaced to the system.
08-22-16, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-16 04:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck
AIS first
I have a RAY70 feeding AIS, it is linked up to everything else on the Raymarine NMEA2000 system, i have no 0183 connections to my radio nor to the E120. I rely on the STNG converter to connect in the E120. I guess you are saying that with my system i cannot get AIS contacts on the MFD?

For the EV1, i have now updated alley software on every box to the most current standard , i have to admit that i had fallen behind with that duty.
I took the boat out for a trial, did about 4 full circles to eventually get the deviation sorted out, which was less than 9 degrees. The variation, i am not so sure about, it only lets me select slaved, there is an option for 19W but its not selectable and any way, in My area variation is 16W.
The systems looking better but until i get out for a proper sail next weekend cannot be sure. I will get back to you on this one.
Thanks
Ian
08-22-16, 04:12 PM
Ian,

General comment: When updated with E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 software, the MFD's SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port will function as a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 port. It is important to note that while software of retired MFDs such as the E-Series Classic MFDs is no longer being updated, the software of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter continues to evolve, making it Raymarine's most effective and up to date SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging device.

As a rule, should the a system include a MFD and at least one other device having a SeaTalkng communications port, then the MFD should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced as a spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the other device(s) having a SeaTalkng communications ports have also been interfaced as spurs. Should the system feature a device(s) having a SeaTalk communications port, then a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) (updated with the latest SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software) will be added to the SeaTalkng backbone to support data bridging between the backbones.

Q1: I have a RAY70 feeding AIS, it is linked up to everything else on the Raymarine NMEA2000 system, i have no 0183 connections to my radio nor to the E120. I rely on the STNG converter to connect in the E120. I guess you are saying that with my system i cannot get AIS contacts on the MFD?
A1: As the SeaTalk communications protocol does not support communications of AIS data and the MFD's SeaTalkng port does not support processing of NMEA 2000 PGNs containing AIS data, it is recommended that the NMEA 0183 output leads of the Ray70 be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input leads of the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable and that the Ray70 NMEA 0183 port be configured to NMEA 0183 High Speed.

Q2: For the EV1, i have now updated alley software on every box to the most current standard , i have to admit that i had fallen behind with that duty.
I took the boat out for a trial, did about 4 full circles to eventually get the deviation sorted out, which was less than 9 degrees. The variation, i am not so sure about, it only lets me select slaved, there is an option for 19W but its not selectable and any way, in My area variation is 16W.
A2: Variation should be configured via the MFD's user interface, where it may be manually configured to 19W should the Auto Variation value not be correct for your area.
08-24-16, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-16 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
No sure i fully understand the MFD connections bit. Presently i have two things that need connection to the backbone via STNG convertor, the E120 and a S100 remote for the pilot. I am not running any 0183 wiring and don't intend to do so. Does this setup preclude the display of AIS on the E120?

On the positive side, i am now happy that my EV1 appears to be working normally, selection of variation is limited to SLAVE mode, the E120 has been correctly set as per your instructions. I will keep a close eye on it for the rest of the season.
Thank you for all your assistance.
Ian
08-24-16, 08:23 AM
Ian,

Q1: No sure i fully understand the MFD connections bit. Presently i have two things that need connection to the backbone via STNG convertor, the E120 and a S100 remote for the pilot.
A1: The E-Series Classic MFD will not be connected to the SeaTalk bus (i.e. its SeaTalk/Alarm Cable will not be used unless you desire to interface an external alarm to the MFD. The MFD's SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port will instead be interfaced as a spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone which includes the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The wireless autopilot base station will be interfaced to the yellow SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2: I am not running any 0183 wiring and don't intend to do so. Does this setup preclude the display of AIS on the E120?
A2: As indicated within the previous response, the E-Series MFDs will only process AIS data received via the MFD's NMEA 0183 port. As such, should you not interface the MFD to the Ray70 via NMEA 0183, then the MFD will be unable to display AIS target data.