Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i50, i60 primaries with i40 repeaters
08-18-16, 08:35 PM
i50, i60 primaries with i40 repeaters
I'm planning an electronics upgrade for our sailboat this Fall. The boat has two cockpits and I want the i50/i60 bundle plus a close-hauled display as my primary instruments in the working cockpit and two i40's as depth and speed repeaters in the forward cockpit. If I connect everything together per the following, can I get all of the instruments connected and still have one extra blue end for expansion for MFD and autopilot in the future? Port 1- Power. Port 2- Two i50's (with transducers connected to them) linked by a SeaTalk cable, then another SeaTalk cable to connect the pair to the converter. Port 3- i60 (wind with masthead transducer connected to it), linked by a SeaTalk cable to the i60 Close-Hauled display, then then another SeaTalk cable to connect the pair to the converter. Port 4- Two i40 repeater instruments (with no transducers) linked together by SeaTalk cable, then another SeaTalk cable to connect the pair to the converter. That should leave me Port 5 for an elbow spur cable to connect to a future ST1-STng converter for an MFD and autopilot. Is this too many instruments for the first converter bus and will the transducer data fed directly to a connected display be usable by the repeaters and by the i60 for True Wind calculation? I have attached a diagram for those that may be lost by my description.

Thank you, in advance, for your time and attention.

Brett
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-16, 10:59 AM
RE: i50, i60 primaries with i40 repeaters
Brett,

Your diagram is incorrect. You're system's backbone will need to included a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to support interfacing the i40 Instruments to the system and will required additional spur sockets. Such spur sockets may be added by joining SeaTalkng T-Pieces or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors to the SeaTalkng backbone using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The backbone will additionally need to include sufficient spur (white) sockets to permit the SeaTalkng Power Cable and each device having a SeaTalkng communications interface to be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the i50/i60 instruments be closely located to one another, then it would be permissible to daisy chain these devices to one another. When daisy chaining devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface to one another, the following constraints must be followed:
- up to 3 devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface may be daisy chained to one another using SeaTalkng Spur Cable. Only i50/i60/i70 Instrument Displays and p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads feature two SeaTalkng spur sockets, permitting them to be installed within the middle of such a daisy chain
- the maximum total length of a SeaTalkng spur should not exceed 3m.

To learn more about SeaTalkng networking, click here.
08-19-16, 07:39 PM
I think I've got this now. So....I can connect my i40's to the white connections on a 5 way connector and then connect that to the yellow port of a SeaTalk1-Seatalkng converter (or does each instrument require a converter?) and then make that/hose converter(s) part of a backbone with the blue connections leaving the rest of my Seatalkng devices (i50's and i60's) connected via white connections of backbone T connectors or onto additional 5 way connectors as necessary. Is that right?
08-19-16, 10:28 PM
I believe the attached diagram achieves the conditions you set forth.
08-22-16, 09:31 AM
Brett,

The diagram that you have supplied is indeed now correct.