Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compass issue
08-22-16, 11:25 AM
Compass issue
The heading on my ST70 reads magnetic, but when I power up my E90 chart plotter the heading changes to True. The set up options on the E90 are set for magnetic and the readings on the E90 are magnetic. But the autopilot continues to read True. If I power down the E90 it still reads true. But if I power it down and restart--with E90 off--the autopilot reverts to magnetic. What's going on?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-16, 01:36 PM
RE: Compass issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gary,

What model of autopilot course computer has been installed onboard the vessel.
09-03-16, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-16 12:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have an E90W chart plotter. Not sure what you mean by "course computer".
09-12-16, 12:53 PM
Gary,

E90W is the model of multifunction display which has been installed onboard the vessel. An autopilot generally consists of the following components:
- autopilot control head (ex. ST70, ST6002, p70, etc.) ... through which the user enters autopilot commands
- autopilot course computer (ex. SPX30, S3G, EV-1/ACU-200, etc.) ... receives input form autopilot control head, heading sensor, rudder reference, and then powers the actuator to steer the vessel)
- actuator (mechanical linear drive, type 1 hydraulic pump, wheel drive, etc.) ... moves rudder in the direction required to steer the vessel

The autopilot course computer is generally designed to be mounted to a vertical bulkhead.
11-05-16, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-16 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
The SmartPilot is either SPX10, SPX 30, or SPX Solenoid
The software v3.x

Does this help?
11-09-16, 04:27 PM
Gary,

It is recommended that:
- it be verified that the autopilot components have been interfaced to MFD via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone ONLY (i.e. not via SeaTalk and/or NMEA 0183 communications.
- the ST70 autopilot control head's software level be checked to ensure that it has been updated to v3.04
- the SPX autopilot course computer's software level be checked to ensure that it has been updated to v3.05
- the MFD's software level be checked to ensure that it has been updated to v2.65

After ensuring the above, the Bearings configuration setting need typically only be configured via the MFD. The autopilot control head should synchronize its Bearings configuration setting to match that of the MFD.