Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RL80C - NO FIX
08-22-16, 12:25 PM
RL80C - NO FIX
I have a RL80C Multifunction Display (2004) Ray Marine. I purchased boat last June, all functions working great on the unit.
This past weekend I started the unit and the GPS came up with maps but had "NO FIX" top right corner of display. I checked GPS settings and the sats are displayed, no sats located. I restart gps and sometimes it finds the sats and NO FIX go off and my map and location starts to work but sometimes I have to restart gps numerous times before finding sata. A few times the gps never finds sats.
I removed and reset the cables on the unit, no changes.
This just started happening this past weekend, never had an issue with it not locating the sats.
Could this be a faulty antenna or intermittent issue with the unit itself.
Any troubleshooting tips?

Thank you
Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-16, 01:16 PM
RE: RL80C - NO FIX
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joe,

Given the symptoms, it is quite possible that the GPS sensor is in the initial stages leading to failure. If supplied with the make/model of GPS sensor and how it has been interfaced to the display, then it may be possible to provide further troubleshooting guidance.

If seeking a replacement GPS sensor, it is typically recommended that hsb/hsb2/SL Series Radar, Chartplotter, and Fishfinder Displays be interfaced to a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor.
08-22-16, 02:12 PM
I'm new to this type of Multi-function displays, i will try and figure out how it is all connected and see if there is any info for the sensor. It won't be until this weekend.
If I need to replace the sensor does the Raystar 130 sensor come as a kit and instructions on connecting to these older units?

Joe
08-22-16, 03:30 PM
Joe,

The hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar, Chartplotter, and Fishinder displays did not have an internal GPS sensor as do many of Raymarine's current MFDs. The hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar, Chartplotter, and Fishinder displays relied upon an external GPS sensor which should have been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.

Raymarine does not sell a kit dedicated replacing your current GPS sensor with a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. However, the previously referenced FAQ should identify the networking components required to interface a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor to your system.
08-23-16, 01:06 PM
HI Chuck,
Yes, I do understand that my unit has an external GPS sensor, I'm just not familiar with how it integrates to the head unit. My unit also has depth and temperature, those go through another module. I wasn't sure if I could just replace the antenna.
It seems it would be best to replace and integrate with the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor if i determine the sensor is the issue.
I will get all information this weekend.

Thank you for your help
Joe
08-23-16, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-16 01:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

It sounds as though there is at least one other potential device having a SeaTalk communications interface within your system (i.e. the depth/temperature sensing instrument). Will await your response regarding the GPS sensor.
08-30-16, 07:58 AM
The GPS sensor is connecting through a Raymarine white rectangle box (seatalk box)
The GPS antenna cable going into box, one cable coming out into Multi-function head unit (looking at rear of unit connection far right, seatalk connection), one other connection coming from box going to power. It is a little difficult to get specifics since the access under dash is a bit difficult.
The depth and temperature go through a DSM250 module, separate from the Raymarine box.

Joe
08-30-16, 08:46 AM
Joe,

Based upon the description supplied within your last response, the GPS Sensor has been connected to a SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box which has in turn been interfaced to your display (via the SeaTalk cable exiting the box) and to power. It does not appear that this small SeaTalk bus has been interfaced to any other devices. Per the FAQ referenced within my initial response, none the these item would be re-used/retained when replacing the currently installed GPS sensor with a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor.
11-11-16, 05:25 PM
I purchased the Raymarine Raystar 130 + ST1-STng Converter Retro Pack, I need to extend the gps antenna cable length, do I purchase a 5M spur cable with an extender or do I purchase the backbone cable with the T fitting. I don't see a straight extender to join the two spur cables together. I need the gps antenna cable to be at least another 15' longer to connect to the block.

Joe
11-15-16, 03:11 PM
Joe,

Please note that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor's cable is 6m long, the maximum length to be used for a spur. Should the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor's cable not be sufficiently long, then the backbone will need to be extended by connecting the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor's Cable to a SeaTalkng In-Line Terminator, SeaTalkng T-Piece, or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. This device would in turn be connected to one of the blue backbone sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via a appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.