Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution wheel pilot heading variance
02-26-16, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-16 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Evolution wheel pilot heading variance
Note: Heading and COG will only be equal to one another when the vessel is underway and is operating in the absence of leeway from wind and/or current. Should the vessel be equipped with a properly calibrated fluid filled compass, then the magnetic heading reported by the autopilot should be very close in value to the vessel's fluid filled compass.

Should the reported magnetic heading differ by more than 10 degrees (the limit of the autopilot's Heading Offset configuration setting) from the correct magnetic heading, then it will be necessary to rotate the EV-1 Sensor Core within its mount to an orientation which is within ten degrees of the actual magnetic heading. As the EV-1 Sensor Core is typically not located near the autopilot control head, configuring the MFD to display the Heading data item and then using a mobile device running the free RayRemote or RayControl Raymarine Mobile apps to repeat the MFD's screen image can be quite helpful when adjusting the orientation of the EV-1 Sensor Core. Correspondingly, the following procedure may be used to correct heading while tied to the dock:

1) Configure the Heading Offset to 0.0 via the autopilot control head
2) Configure the MFD's Wi-Fi to ON
3) Configure the mobile device's Wi-Fi settings to connect to the MFD
4) Run the RayControl or RayRemote Raymarine Mobile app
5) Configure the Wi-Fi equipped MFD to display the Heading data item
6) Remove the retaining ring from the EV-1 Sensor Core's mount
7) Move any tools used to remove the retaining ring as well as any ferrous materials, products featuring magnetic components (motors, speakers, etc.), and high current carrying conductors at least 3' from the EV-1 Sensor Core
8) While monitoring the Heading data item within the RayControl or RayRemote Raymarine Mobile App, adjust the orientation of the EV-1 Sensor Core within its mount until the Heading data item is within a few degrees of the correct magnetic heading
9) Reinstall the EV-1 Sensor Core Mount's retaining ring
10) Adjust the Heading Offset via the autopilot control head until the autopilot's reported Heading matches the actual magnetic heading
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-16, 11:28 AM
Well, I deserve the idiot award! When I went to rotate the EV-1 to correct the problem, I found it not aligned with the vessel. Can't explain it. I was very aware of the necessary alignment during the install and thought I had it correct.

To wrap it up, the AP works properly now that the install is correct. Thanks for the help.

Keith Ford
Lippincott 30
02-29-16, 02:27 PM
You're welcome.