Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120 - 2KW Radome
08-22-16, 09:03 PM
E120 - 2KW Radome
Hi

I have an E120 with a 2KW Analog Radome with no picture/returns being displayed.
The system reports "Cable Test Status" Fail on the Self Test. Also has reported "Ship Sensor" Fail on Self Test, and "No Data Source" when using.
I will perform the Cable/Radome Resistances Test as outlined in other threads.
My questions is:
i. Is there a similar E120 pin resistance test on the scanner connection port. Want to know in case the Cable & Radome pass.
Thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-16, 08:39 AM
RE: E120 - 2KW Radome
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Petrel Marine,

Comment: Please note that changes in the I/F circuitry boards used with the the NGC radomes (RD218, RD424) would cause the radar self test to report radar cable failure and ships heading sensor failure when in fact the radome was fully operational and capable of supplying the interfaced radar display with radar imagery. Should the radar cable test pass it be verified that the loaded system voltage supplied to the MFD is within its operating range, then the fault would typically be determined to be rooted in the radome rather than the radar display. Raymarine can no longer provide parts or service for these analog radomes. However, the E-Series Classic MFDs additionally supported radomes and open array pedestals having Ethernet communications interfaces which continue to be sold by Raymarine.

Q: Is there a similar E120 pin resistance test on the scanner connection port. Want to know in case the Cable & Radome pass.
A: Unfortunately, Raymarine does not have a radar interface test for the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays, C-Series Classic MFDs, and E-Series Classic MFDs.
08-23-16, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your help.
08-24-16, 07:58 AM
You're welcome.
08-24-16, 08:29 PM
Hi Chuck

Just wanted to pass these number across to you for your opinion. I performed the resistances test and recorded these results.

Video 1&2 = 46.97K (46.96K @ Radar)
Trigger 4&7 = 9.43K (9.43K @ Radar)
Data 6&10 = 116 (113 @ Radar)
Azimuth 12&13 = 9.43K (9.43K @ Radar)

Compared to test requirements, Video is out by 2%, Trigger & Azimuth are out by 6% and Data IO is out by 28%.
Not sure what the tolerances are but am I correct in assuming Data IO has failed?

Other observations I made. Power supply to E120 is 12.6V, Radar power supply was 12.2VDC with E120 off, 11.6VDC with E120 On. Everything else in the system appears to be working correctly, just intermittent Radar issue.
Please let me know your thoughts and thank you.
08-25-16, 09:34 AM
PetrelMarine,

As no tolerances are specified within the expected resistances of the cable test, the tester will be primarily seeking to determine whether the resistance checks indicate any open circuit readings. As the problem is intermittent, it may be worth checking the cable and its connectors for signs of damage. If none are identified and should the problem manifest itself when the loaded system voltage is within the operating range of the MFD, then it would appear that there is an intermittent fault within radome.