Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST70 wont run calibrate vane test
08-29-16, 11:46 AM
ST70 wont run calibrate vane test
Hello I am hoping you can help me with an issue.

I recently removed a faulty wind pod with an iTc-5. The replacement went well and the wind speed and instrument readings look reasonable. I assume I need to calibrate the vane to the new transducer. Through the ST70 I have attempted the calibrate wind vane (where you go in slow circles) many times without success. It either "hangs up" at the 6% complete mark or stays at 0% no matter how long I go in circles. It doesn't say to slow down or anything. The small blue circle shows it is "working" during the test but the test will not progress and complete. I can align the vane (head into the wind to adjust AWA) no problem. As a result of not getting this alignment to work the true wind and angle is way off. My software version on the ST70 is 3.03.

Please help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-16, 01:01 PM
RE: ST70 wont run calibrate vane test
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andrew,

Q: I assume I need to calibrate the vane to the new transducer.
A: Indeed the wind transducer must be calibrated again.

Given the problem calibrating the wind transducer, it is recommended that the wind transducer be tested per the FAQ found here.
09-12-16, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-16 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck hoping you can help - here is some more information:

Red to shield voltage was unsteady at first ranging from 6.9V - 7.2V. I noticed two wind vane cables leaving the junction block at the base of the mast. Knowing only 1 cable needs to go to the iTC5 I disconnected the other. I'm not sure where it was going or for what. After doing this the red to shield voltage improved to a more steady 7.7V to 7.8V. The other voltages were within range and obviously fluctuated slightly with wind speed and direction changes. I upgraded ALL the software to the latest versions as well.

All that being said and done I tried another calibrate wind vane process on the water with no luck. Tried several times in both directions with the test only getting to 6% again.

I also found no ground terminal connection on the X30 at all.....I read that that can cause instruments to not work properly. I attached a ground from the terminal on the X30 to the grounding bar coming from the batteries. This did nothing to help the problem. Every time I "adjust vane" manually for the true wind at the dock and then align it to the apparent wind when underway they work against each other and end in an erroneous true wind display.

Andrew
09-14-16, 09:30 AM
Andrew,

It is recommended that you verify that both the ST70 Multifunction Instrument Display and iTC-5 have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. If not, update the software within these products and then attempt to calibrate the wind transducer again. Should the problem persist thereafter and given that the transducer test did not identify a fault with the transducer, then it would be recommended that the iTC-5 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
09-14-16, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-16 03:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck can you advise on how to check the software version of the iTC5 with a C90W or an ST70?
09-14-16, 03:41 PM
Andrew,

Unlike Raymarine's latest generation of MFDs (i.e. the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs) and i70 MFIDs, the diagnostics of the C-Series Widescreen MFDs did not ST70 MFIDs did not support probing the backbone to produce a list of devices introduced following the C-Series Widescreen MFDs which had been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone ... the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is one such device. In the case of the ST70 MFID, its version of software may be ascertained via the command sequence MENU->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT DISPLAY. In the case of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, you may want to simply assume that it's software is not current and then update its software via the C-Series Widescreen MFD.
09-24-16, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-16 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck I have an update. I was able to get another brand new Itc5 and installed it today. I updated the software and then tried to calibrate. Exactly the same issue happened as detailed above. No change at all. Intersting to note is I checked the voltages at the base of the mast coming from the wind vane. Voltage from red to shield with the wire going to the vane disconnected is 7.95V. When I connect the red going to the vane the voltage drops to 5.64V. It sure seems the vane has an issue. What do you think?
09-26-16, 08:29 AM
Andrew,

I would concur that there would appear to be an issue with your wind vane. If sending it to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced, then I would additionally recommend sending the iTC-5 to have them tested as a system.