Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading MFD
09-16-16, 12:58 PM
Upgrading MFD
I'm considering upgrading from a Classic E-120 to either an eS97 or eS127. Rather than completely rewiring the helm, I'd like to have the option of doing the wotk in phases. Currently my RS130 is connected to the E120 via a SeaTalkng Converter. The only other connection to the E120 is from the transducer thru the DSM300 via SeaTalkHS.
The other instruments (ST60, Raypilot650, SmartPilot S3, Triducer)) are on a second basic network, with no connection to the E120. Ultimately, I'd put them (or their replacements) on the SeaTalkng network.
Could I connect the current transducer (Airmar B60-200-Ray 50/200) directly to the new MFD (via E85001), and get rid of the DSM300?
I have a feeling that this will be a bit more complicated than flush mounting the new MFD.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-16, 01:31 PM
RE: Upgrading MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum seeray96,

To interface an eS97 or eS127 MFD to the RS130, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be replaced with an A06064 SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. The SeaTalkng port of the MFD would then be joined to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The currently installed power cable will need to be replaced with the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable supplied with the eS-Series MFD. Finally, the SeaTalk Cable which had been connecting the DSM to the E-Series Classic MFD will be adapted (w/A80160 SeaTalkhs (F) to RayNet (F) Adapter) to mate to the eS-Series MFD's Ethernet Network socket. There's no need to replace the DSM unless you have been experiencing issues with it. If so, then the transducer may be unplugged from the DSM and adapted (w/E66066 Transducer Adapter) to mate to the eSx7 MFD's Transducer socket.
01-18-17, 09:17 PM
I'm looking to accomplish most of the same tasks here... Upgrading a SeaRay Navigator and E120 system to an eS127 and eS128 setup. My new HD Color Radome will terminate directly into one of the eS MFDs. I'll use a SeaTalk 3-way junction to connect my existing Ray240 and my existing SmartPilot to an NG backbone with the converter kit. Questions are:

if I use the E66066 adapter for the existing DSM300 transducer for a direct connection to a new eS MFD...

(1) does it matter which MFD (the 127 or the 128) it connects to?

(2) regarding all of these MFD connections (radome, NG backbone, external GPS antenna, IP camera, transducer, etc do they all need to connect to one "master" MFD where the 2nd is a "slave" or some connections run to each for all of the system data to be shared back and forth?
01-19-17, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rvaupel23,

Q1: does it matter which MFD (the 127 or the 128) it connects to?
A1) Yes. The E66066 Transducer Adapter may only be used to interface a DSM30/300 compatible transducer to the TRANSDUCER socket of an ax7, cx7, e7D, ex7, or eSx7 MFD. Accordingly, your currently installed fishfinder transducer must be interfaced to the eS127 MFD.

Q2: regarding all of these MFD connections (radome, NG backbone, external GPS antenna, IP camera, transducer, etc do they all need to connect to one "master" MFD where the 2nd is a "slave" or some connections run to each for all of the system data to be shared back and forth?
A2: Only the Data Master MFD need be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. All other resources and data will be shared between the MFDs via Ethernet.