Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfacing AIS VHF radio to MFD
02-18-16, 08:57 PM
Interfacing AIS VHF radio to MFD
I read the post regarding linking an AIS device to a Raymarine MFD and now I'm confused. So I'll describe my set-up/proposed additions with hopes you can help me. I have an a95 MFD connected to seatalkng backbone. Also connected are ev100 autopilot and I/50 I/60 wind depth speed instruments. We have purchased an Icom IC m-506 VHF radio with AIS reciever. It has a nmea 2000 connector. I've purchased a backbone tee, backbone cable and nmea2000 to STng adapter cable. Will this provide input to radio/AIS and output to mfd? I am unable to complete the setup right now as the boat is laid up for winter, and none of the instruments are installed nor is there power on the boat.
Your expertise is appreciated
Thank you
Brad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-16, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-16 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Interfacing AIS VHF radio to MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Brad,

Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are indeed designed to support receiving AIS PGNs from a NMEA 2000 source. Similarly, these MFDs support transmission of GPS PGNs to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone to support their use by other devices which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. As such, should your third party VHF radio / AIS receiver/transceiver support reception GPS PGNs from a NMEA 2000 source and should it also support transmission of AIS PGNs (recommend checking the third party VHF radio / AIS receiver/transceiver's documentation or contacting the third party product manufacturer's technical support team), then the third party VHF radio / AIS receiver/transceiver may simply be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone in the manner which you have described.
02-19-16, 04:55 PM
Thank you, You and the other contributors to this forum are what sold me on Raymarine products for our sailboat! Keep doing what you're doing!
02-19-16, 05:12 PM
You're welcome.