Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST 60+ STW adjustment
09-27-16, 09:09 AM
ST 60+ STW adjustment
We sent in our venerable ST60 speed log for repair; it was seriously enough compromised that we incurred the maximum flat rate.

The "repair" was actually "replace all but the housing," but with an ST60+ unit.

So, we have a new speed log. However, unless there's a different impeller for this or the original, we have a STW discrepancy on the order of close to 100%; we read 3 and change at what should be more like 6 and change, 4 and 8 and the like. At lower speeds, it's very much worse; 1's for 4-5, for example.

This unit was cleaned and inserted just before departure, so I very much doubt fouling.

I'm sure there is some key combination to adjust the compensation for speed, and that, like our other two speed transponders, one Raymarine and the other a very venerable Signet, you have to choose a sweet spot, as the translation isn't linear.

Thus, likely we'd try to adjust for a 'standard' 5 knots or so.

How do we do that?

Thanks.

Skip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-16, 03:23 PM
RE: ST 60+ STW adjustment
Skip,

Any time that speed through water sensing transducer is replaced or a speed through water sensing device is replaced, it is recommended that Speed Calibration be performed. The Speed Calibration process is detailed within Chapter 4 of the ST60+ Speed Instrument Owner’s Handbook. As speed through water sensors have non-linear error associated with them and the ST60+ Speed and Tridata Instruments calibrate speed when operating the vessel at the speed which it is most commonly operated at. If fishing, it is recommended that speed calibration of these instruments be calibrated at the most commonly used trolling speed.
10-14-16, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-16 09:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, and thanks. I hadn't gotten a manual with the new guts to my not-plus ST60 housing which resulted when I sent it in for repair; I knew about the most-used and non-linear speed issues in the previous unit, but didn't know how to make those adjustments in the new one. I'll read it and make the changes.

I'm guessing that, as nothing else changed, the ST60+ doesn't support the change of light levels which I previously had via my RP65 remote unit? Or is (I've not yet read the manual) there a tweak in there which accommodates that as well?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
10-14-16, 09:22 AM
Skip,

The ST60 Speed and ST60+ Speed were identical in all respects except for the bezels of these instruments. The ST60+ instrument bezels featured rounded edges vs the squared edges of the ST60 instruments. A commonly used and very simple method of testing SeaTalk communications among ST60/ST60+ instruments and autopilot control heads is to verify that backlight level changes commanded to one of the instruments or autopilot control heads causes the other instruments or autopilot control heads to also change to the commanded backlight level. Failure to do so may indicate a problem with the SeaTalk bus, connections between the SeaTalk bus and the instruments or autopilot control heads, or with the SeaTalk communications circuitry of product. One may of course also verify that the instruments either repeats data from the system or that other system components can repeat data from the instrument.