Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
autopilot will not calibrate
10-06-16, 04:54 PM
autopilot will not calibrate
Hello,
I own a Raymarine autopilot (S1 computer and ST6001 controller). The autopilot worked flawlessly last year. I noted early this year that the fluxgate compass reading was about about 180 degrees from the magnetic compass reading.I swung the boat and was able to calibrate the compass with a 21 degree deviation. The boat is fiberglass and the factory install of the fluxgate compass is about 2' from the saildrive but last year the system worked fine. Despite calibrating the compass the autopilot did not hold a steady course. This has been the last time I have been able to calibrate the compass. Multiple attempts at swinging boat for prolonged periods of time fails to show any deviation reading. If I purposely spin the boat quickly the autopilot never reads "too fast". I performed a factory reset and it still will not calibrate. The deviation now reads zero after the reset , if I align the fluxgate compass to match the magnetic compass (compass not calibrated), the course is not steady. I moved the autopilot further from the engine and saildrive and other ferous metals which did not fix the problem. I used my multimeter to test the compass as a previous thread recommended, the readings were: red to green 4.5 ohms (expected 4), red to yellow 4.6 ohms (expected 4), green to yellow 8.0 ohms (expected 8) screen to blue 8.0 (expected 8), all other color combinations read OL. I moved the fluxgate compass to the cockpit and rotated by hand, 90 degree rotation changed the fluxgate reading 30 degrees, when rotated again 180 degrees, the fluxgate reading did not change despite rotation. I purchased a new fluxgate compass, did another factory reset and there was still was no calibration in both locations (near saildrive and distant from the saildrive, engine). Would appreciate your advice what to do next. I understand that Raymaraine will examine and fix older instruments, what is the cost of doing a diagnotic test, what are my options in regards to purchasing a new computer for the old system, new controller for the old system or entire new system? My chartplotter is a Raymarine E 80, Thank you in advance for your advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-16, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-16 08:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: autopilot will not calibrate
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

In order for an autopilot to correctly report heading, both the fluxgate compass and autopilot course computer (the latter is responsible for converting the analog compass data to a numerical heading value). Whereas you have already replaced the fluxgate compass and its resistance values are within the range of an operational fluxgate compass and the flugate compass was re-installed in a previously satisfactory location, then the fault would appear to be within the autopilot course computer. Unfortunately, Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service S1/S1G/S2/2G/S3/S3G Autopilot Course Computers. As your system includes and E-Series Classic MFD, it would be recommended that an Evolution Autopilot be purchased to replace the S1. If supplied with the model of autopilot actuator (drive unit) which is currently installed onboard, then it may be possible to then recommend specific Evolution Autopilot components. With respect to interfacing the Evolution Autopilot to the currently installed marine electronics:
- the E-Series Classic MFD will be updated with v5.69 E-Series Classic MFD software to add support for SeaTalkng communications
- a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone would be installed onboard the vessel providing sufficient spur socket to permit the Evolution autopilot components and E-Series Classic MFD to be interfaced as spurs to the backbone
- a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be installed within the SeaTalkng backbone to accommodate interfacing any products having a SeaTalk communications interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng communications interface (E-Series Classic MFD excluded)
- the E-Series Classic MFD will be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus ... it will instead be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone
- the SeaTalk bus will be disconnected from its present source of power (this may be the red terminal of the S1 autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port ... the SeaTalk bus will instead receive power from the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- the SeaTalk bus will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
10-20-16, 08:30 PM
Hello Chuck,
Thank you for your response. The drive unit is difficult but not impossible to get to. I can easily see that the unit says "Raymarine Type 1" , looks like a mechanical linear drive based on the appearance of the units you currently sell. The electric equipment on the boat are two E 80 electronic charts (one at nav station and one at the wheel), ST 60 speed, wind and depth units , Raymarine Pathfinder radar, also a GPS and VHF radio. I assume all of these units (except for the VHF) is currently connected to the Seatalk bus, will they remain so after converting to the Seatalk NG backbone? If the above information is adequate, what Evolution Autopilot do I need to purchase? If you need me to get the model number from the drive unit to determine the Evolution Autopilot unit needed let me know and I will obtain. I plan at some point to replace the VHF with a VHF radio/AIS unit, would this be connected as a spur off the Seatalkng backbone? I have included 3 attachments of the mechanical drive unit.
Thanks, John
10-21-16, 09:02 AM
John,

Your photos are indeed those of an Rudder Reference Transducer and Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive. Both of these items may be retained for use with an Evolution autopilot. If seeking to replace the currently installed autopilot with an Evolution autopilot, then the T70155 EV-200 Sail would be recommended for use with the Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive. The T70155 EV-200 Sail is supplied with all of the SeaTalkng networking components to provide a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to interface the autopilot components (EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU200 Actuator Control Unit, p70 Autopilot Control Head) to one another. The SeaTalkng backbone will need to be extended to include an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to permit the unpowered SeaTalk bus including the ST60 instruments to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. The E-Series Classic MFD would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and would instead be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone via an A06061 E-Series Classic MFD to SeaTalkng Spur Cable.