Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tranducer identification
10-14-16, 11:27 AM
Tranducer identification
I have the transducer that is in the attached picture in my 1997 Sea Ray Express Cruiser. I'm pretty sure it is for an old Raymarine fishfinder but I cannot find a part number on the cable.
I am hoping you can identify the transducer for me.
Thanks,
Neal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-16, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-16 01:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Tranducer identification
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Neal,

Unfortunately, the transducer in your photo is unlike any transducer that Raymarine currently offers. For fishfinder transducer, a tag should have been affixed to the plug end of the transducer's cable. We believe that the transducer may be a B44V. Should you have known the model of Raytheon fishfinding product that it had been interfaced to, then it may have been possible to identify the transducer model/part number. That said, Raymarine fishfinding products of the mid to late 90s used transducers produced by Airmar, Inc. and the pictured transducer appears to be similar to that of other Airmar transducer designs. It is accordingly recommended that Airmar, Inc. be contacted for assistance in identifying the transducer's model / part number.
10-14-16, 02:35 PM
Thank you Chuck.

I did email Airmar, and they said it was an early B44 transducer.
Can the B44 be adapted to any of the new Raymarine fish finders?
10-14-16, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-16 07:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Neal,

As indicated within the FAQ found here, the transducer model name (ex. B260, B744V, P66, P79, etc.) identifies a family of transducers rather than a single transducer. Each variant of a transducer model (ex. B44V) has a design which is unique and based upon the make and model of fishfinder or instrument that the variant was designed to be mated to. As such, the transducer's product ID should be used in determining compatibility of the transducer with Raymarine's products. As indicated previously, the transducer identification tag would have been affixed to the plug end of the transducer's cable. Should you find the tag and attach a photo of the tag clearly showing all information printed onto the tag or perhaps attach a photo of the face of the plug, then it may be possible to identify the products that it may have been designed for use with.
10-14-16, 03:38 PM
Chuck,
The two options for speed, depth, temp instruments from Sea Ray in '97 were B&G or a Raydata Multifunction instrument. All other electronics on the boat are Raymarine, so there is a good chance this transducer was hooked up to a Raymarine product. The boat just got back from a haul and bottom paint and other work, plus the installation of a new Raymarine CHIRP transducer. I need to spend some time this weekend routing the new cable, so I am hoping I will find the tag on the B44. I figure as long as the transducer is there I might as well use it if I can.

Thanks again for your help.
Neal
10-17-16, 02:47 PM
Hi Chuck,
After another hour in the bilge cutting zip-ties and opening up raceways I finally found a tag. The tag on the transducer cable says Raytheon and is #31-054-01. Is there a current depth-speed-temperature instrument that I can hook this transducer up to?
Thanks for your help.
Neal
10-17-16, 03:37 PM
Neal,

The transducer ID identifies the model of transducer as B56. This particular model of B56 transducer was designed to be mated to a V850 Raytheon Fishfinder. While the transducer is not compatible with any of Raymarine's fishfinder products, it may be interfaced to any of the following to support depth, speed, and water temperature:
- i40 Bidata
- i50 Tridata
- i70 via iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a fishfinder transducer such as the B56 may be instead used with one of the above listed instruments.
10-17-16, 03:55 PM
Chuck,
Thank you for the new information. Airmar also origianally identified the transducer as a B44. I will look into installing a new tri-data instrument with the ITC-5. I will also start a new thread in the Autopilot forum as I have finally figured out what components are installed for that function as well.
Neal
10-18-16, 07:33 AM
Neal,

Should an i50 Tridata be installed, then an iTC-5 would not be installed unless an i70 MFID was additionally installed. The transducer's leads may be connected directly to the depth, speed, and temperature terminals of the i50 Tridata.