Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot Configuration Question
10-17-16, 04:06 PM
Autopilot Configuration Question
Hi Chuck,

When the boat was purchased following autopilot equipment had been installed on my '97 Sea Ray:

Type 100 Autopilot Control Unit
Raychart 610EST Course Computer
Raypilot 650 Autopilot Control Head
Fluxgate Compass
Rudder Reference Indicator
A70D Chart Plotter (interfaced with NMEA0183 to ACU)

The 610EST and the Raypilot 650 were not hooked up or working and have been removed.

I will be upgrading shortly to an eS series fishfinder/chart plotter with Quantum radar in the near future.

My question is, using the remaining existing equipment, is it possible to achieve a working autopilot system?

Thanks for your help.
Neal
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-16, 09:15 AM
RE: Autopilot Configuration Question
Neal,

The Raychart 610EST is an electronic charting system, not an autopilot course computer. This product would essentially be replaced by the eS-Series MFD which you have referenced. The only autopilot components which may be retained would be the autopilot drive unit and rudder reference transducer when replacing an autopilot of this vintage with an Evolution autopilot. It is possible that a Type 100 autopilot course computer has been installed onboard. Not specified within the boat's equipment list is the model of autopilot drive unit (ex. Type 1 hydraulic, Type 1 mechanical linear, Type 1 hydraulic linear, etc.). I suspect that this vessel is equipped with hydraulic steering. When specifying an autopilot system for vessels with hydraulic steering, the following information is required:
- number of steering ram(s)
- cubic capacity of steering ram(s)
- if the steering system includes two steering rams, have the rams been plumbed in series or parallel.

Based upon the information specified above, a model of hydraulic pump will be specified match the cubic capacity of the steering ram(s). The model of hydraulic pump will in turn dictate the model of Actuator Control Unit (ACU) which will be installed. The currently installed fluxgate compass would be replaced with an EV-1 Sensor Core.
10-18-16, 12:20 PM
Chuck,
Thank you for the clarification on the 610EST.
Yes, there is a type 100 Auto Pilot Course Computer installed.
I neglected to list the Type 1 Hydraulic Drive Unit.
Neal
10-18-16, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-16 02:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Neal,

Assuming that the correct size hydraulic pump had been installed for the vessel's hydraulic steering system, then the T70156 EV-200 Power Pilot would be recommended for use with the Type 1 Hydraulic Pump.
10-18-16, 02:34 PM
Chuck,

I understand from a previous owner the autopilot system was working, so I assume the correct size hydraulic pump had been installed.

It appears I would need an EV-200 Power Pilot, an EV-1 sensor core and connection to an eS series chart plotter acting as the course computer.

Would I need to utilize a P70R Auto Pilot control Head as part of this system, or as an option, to control course changes?

Thanks for your help. The information you provide will make it easy to deal with the electronics retailer / installer as I will fully understand what it will require to upgrade my autopilot system.
Neal
10-18-16, 02:45 PM
Neal,

The T70156 EV-200 Power Pilot includes all of the following (click on the link provided within my last response):
- EV-1 Sensor Core
- ACU200 Actuator Control Unit
- p70 Autopilot Control Head
- Evolution Cabling Kit containing sufficient SeaTalkng networking components to interface the Evolution autopilot components to one another and to power the SeaTalkng network.

An additional spur socket will need to be added to this SeaTalkng backbone to accommodate interfacing the eS-Series MFD to the backbone. To learn more about SeaTalkng networking, click here.
10-18-16, 03:05 PM
Chuck,
OK, I understand now that the kit included the listed components.

I appreciate all your help.

Neal
10-18-16, 03:18 PM
You're welcome.