Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk device connections to e95 MFD
02-21-16, 04:44 PM
SeaTalk device connections to e95 MFD
In planning an MFD and radar upgrade on my 2006 Beneteau 393, I’m trying to anticipate how to configure the network for it. I currently have the following:
E80 Classic MFD
2kW 18” analog radome
Raystar RS125 (I believe) GPS receiver
S2 Smartpilot with ST6001 controller and wireless SmartController
ST60 wind instrument
ST60+ Tridata
I’d like to upgrade the MFD to an e95 and the radar to a new Quantum CHIRP radome, and I have a few questions.

1. As I understand it, I’d need to connect my current SeaTalk devices (ST6001/autopilot/wireless base station and the ST60/ST60+ instruments) to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, which will connect to the e95 through SeaTalkng. However, the installation instructions for the converter state:

“SeaTalk autopilot (e.g. S1, S2 or S3 course computer with ST6002 controller) — This cannot be connected to the converter, nor to any device on the converter’s SeaTalk spur. A SeaTalk autopilot will usually be connected directly to the multifunction Display.”

If that is true, how can the ST6001 autopilot controller, S2 course computer and wireless controller base station be connected to the e95 MFD?

2. Can the SeaTalk cable that is currently connected to my E80 MFD be connected directly to the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter, or would I need a different cable?

3. In order to connect the RS125 GPS antenna, would I need a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter and a new antenna cable? It is on a radar pole, just a few feet from the MFD on the steering pedestal (which is under a canvas Bimini). Given that the e95 has an internal GPS, would the external antenna add enough value to justify the expense and effort of connecting it?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-16, 11:11 AM
RE: SeaTalk device connections to e95 MFD
I had the same question on the converter on the old forum. The manual shipped with it is outdated. Here is a link to the current manual

On This Software Update Page of the Raymarine Website

With the introduction of version 1.10, the converter now supports a system with a Autopilot. With version 1.11 you are now able to connect and communicate with a previous generation of Autopilot such as the S1G, S2G and S3G as examples. Information in the manual regarding not being able to connect the converter with a Autopilot in the system is now redundant.

I run an e97 and e125 with an S1G using the E22158 converter and it works well. The pilot is the only thing left on Seatalk 1. I have an RD418D radome that used to connect to a C90W that is now an e125 and it works great. If you go with an e95 you probably don't need the RS125. I kept the RS125 installed but unplugged from Seatalk as a 3rd GPS if the e97 and e125 should both fail.

Bill Kneller
Vento Solare, J/109 #266
02-22-16, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-16 12:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: SeaTalk device connections to e95 MFD
General Statement: Please click here to view a FAQ within this Forum which I had previously posted within this Forum addressing how to replace an E-Series Classic MFD with an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Q1. As I understand it, I’d need to connect my current SeaTalk devices (ST6001/autopilot/wireless base station and the ST60/ST60+ instruments) to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, which will connect to the e95 through SeaTalkng. However, the installation instructions for the converter state:

“SeaTalk autopilot (e.g. S1, S2 or S3 course computer with ST6002 controller) — This cannot be connected to the converter, nor to any device on the converter’s SeaTalk spur. A SeaTalk autopilot will usually be connected directly to the multifunction Display.”

If that is true, how can the ST6001 autopilot controller, S2 course computer and wireless controller base station be connected to the e95 MFD?

A1. Unfortunately, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit Owner's Manual has not been updated since the kit was introduced. With the introduction of v1.14 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter now supports integration with autopilots. It is expected that Raymarine will be updating the online version of Owner’s Manual in the future to reflect this change. The software update history found on the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter's Software Update web page clearly indicate that autopilot support has been added to its capabilities. It is recommended that SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters be updated with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Software.

Q2. Can the SeaTalk cable that is currently connected to my E80 MFD be connected directly to the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter, or would I need a different cable?

A2. No. See the information within the FAQ referenced at the beginning of this discussion addressing how install the equipment.

Q3. In order to connect the RS125 GPS antenna, would I need a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter and a new antenna cable? It is on a radar pole, just a few feet from the MFD on the steering pedestal (which is under a canvas Bimini). Given that the e95 has an internal GPS, would the external antenna add enough value to justify the expense and effort of connecting it?

A3. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Convert will support a SeaTalk bus featuring up to five SeaTalk devices. Should your present list of equipment feature more than five SeaTalk devices (in your case, it does not), then an additional SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) should be installed within the system.

Maximum GPS signal reception typically will result from a MFD or GPS sensor which has been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. As a compatible external GPS is already installed onboard the vessel, it is recommended that it be retained for use with the new system.