Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RL70C GPS connections
10-29-16, 11:13 AM
RL70C GPS connections
I have 2 RL70C displays that were on my boat when I took a lightning strike. I have them at home and am trying to connect a Garmin handheld GPS to them to see if they still will work. I have the GPS set up to send out NMEA183 data but can not get the display to see the GPS. I am trying to use the wires in the power cable as described in the manual. What wires should I connect to the GPS NMEA signal? Does the shield have to be connected to ground?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-16, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-16 09:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: RL70C GPS connections
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wrandy,

The Pathfinder Series Display Power/NMEA 0183 Cable's NMEA 0183 IN1+ lead (green) will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Talker's (ex. GPS, depth instrument, etc.) NMEA 0183 OUT+ lead. Additionally, the Pathfinder Series Display Power/NMEA 0183 Cable's NMEA 0183 IN1- lead (blue) will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Talker's NMEA 0183 OUT- lead. Some Garmin products lack dedicated NMEA 0183 OUT- leads, instead opting for a data common/ground lead which will also be connected to -12 VDC. In the case of the latter, the Pathfinder Series Display Power/NMEA 0183 Cable's NMEA 0183 IN1- lead (blue) will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Talker's data common/ground lead. The NMEA 0183 Talker's configuration settings must be configured to support 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 v2.1 (lower versions not supported) communications.

The shield lead of the Pathfinder Series Display Power/NMEA 0183 Cable's need not be connected to ground to perform testing of the display's NMEA 0183 port.

Unfortunately, should the Pathfinders Series Display's NMEA 0183 communications circuitry be determined to have suffered a failure, then it would be necessary to replace the Pathfinders Series Display as Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer provide parts and service for these displays.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply