Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to enable NMEA output from C120W?
11-03-16, 02:37 PM
How to enable NMEA output from C120W?
Is there some setting in the C120W MFD to turn on and off NMEA output? I've spent hours examining the User Reference Manual to no avail...

I have the C120W MFD as well as ST-70 instruments including GPS, DSC radio, Depth, Wind...
**and importantly, the AIS 500 transceiver, according to my purchase records** but I cannot detect ASCII output and the AIS icon shows NOXAIS (except in simulator mode).

=====

The system was installed wired to a remote DB-9 RS-232 connector for connection to the RNS 6.2 software on a laptop.

Once upon a time it all "just worked", including the data to RNS, but excluding AIS detection.

Now I have changed laptops (and lost the Ethernet cable that did work with the prior laptop) and this laptop only has USB, so I bought a Gigaware to USB-to-Serial cable adapter.

The RNS runs under Windows 10 in a VirtualBox VM under Linux openSUSE Leap 42.1

-----

But first things first: I can find no ASCII output coming from the DB-9, I've tried a bunch of geek things:
• Linux recognizes the adapter
• minicom sees output but it is digital not ASCII as NMEA should provide

Is there some setting in the MFD to turn on and off NMEA output? I've spent hours examining the User Reference Manual to no avail...

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-16, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-16 04:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: How to enable NMEA output from C120W?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

The NMEA 0183 ports of Raymarine MFD's are always ON. It is recommended that you initially verify that MFD's NMEA (0183) Output settings have been configured to transmit all listed NMEA 0183 sentences. Typically the NMEA 0183 port which will be interfaced to anything other than an AIS receiver/transceiver will be configured to "NMEA 4800'. Typically, an AIS500 would have been interfaced to a C-Series Widescreen MFD via SeaTalkng communications protocol. Should the MFD have instead been interfaced to the MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol, then that port would need to be configured to "AIS 38400". Finally, the AIS Objects configuration setting within the Chart application page/pane being viewed must be configured to ON.

The following FAQs are also pertinent to testing the NMEA 0183 ports of MFDs and troubleshooting a NO AIS issue relative to this thread. Please note that the command sequences specified within these FAQs are those required for Raymarine's currently manufactured a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs running the latest software available at the time of this response. For the corresponding command sequences for C-Series Widescreen MFDs, please consult the C-Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays Reference Manual:

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a MFD's NMEA 0183 ports.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the NO AIS problem reported.
11-04-16, 06:39 PM
Chuck hi, thank you for the comprehensive reply. I've spent about six hours working through it thank you.

It would seem that in my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist:

==========

>Finally, the AIS Objects configuration setting within the Chart application page/pane being viewed must be configured to ON.

------
And, therein lies the problem:
The manual says:
Enabling and disabling AIS silent mode
In the chart or radar application:
1.2.Press the MENU button.
Using the trackpad, highlight the AIS Layer Setup menu item,
then press the trackpad right to select it.

But in my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist.

Continuing:

>Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the NO AIS problem reported.
>- Verify that the Chart application page's/pane's AIS Layer (MENU->PRESENTATION->OVERLAYS->AIS) has been configured ON.

My unit does not expose that. We have
Chart Application->PRESENTATION->CHART LAYERS->CHART LAYERS->AIS Objects, which are ON.

Went through the FAQs, thanks, no joy.

So the bottom line is
In my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist.

Tomorrow is another day. Ideas welcome...

Kind regards, Andy
11-05-16, 08:31 AM
Chuck good morning. Thank you. You are certainly prolific!

I've gone through this, details below.

• The AIS Layer Setup menu item cited in your second FAQ seems not to exist in my system.

• AIS 38400 is an option on Port 2, but not elsewhere.

• I am getting $APHDG and $APRSA sentences from the RS-232 connection to the Laptop (via a Gigaware USB-A to Serial adapter between the DB-9 RS232 connector and the laptop), but these are not listed in the setup sentences and the setup sentences do not appear.

• The second FAQ differs slightly from my MENU sequences, but my AIS Objects are set to ON:
Chart Application->PRESENTATION->CHART LAYERS->CHART LAYERS->AIS Objects, which are ON.

So it looks like it is time to call in a paid technician to sort it out. I was hoping that there was something simple that I was missing in the morass of information, but apparently there is not.

Thank you and RayMarine for all your time and effort helping others.

Best regards, Andy
=============== DETAILS =====================
>The NMEA 0183 ports of Raymarine MFD's are always ON.
Good, thanks.

>It is recommended that you initially verify that MFD's NMEA (0183) Output settings have been configured to transmit all listed NMEA 0183 sentences.

My system:
Menu→System Setup→System Integration→
NMEA Output Setup:Port 1→All sentences ON
NMEA Port Setting:Port 1→NMEA 4800 (the only other options are NavTex, that we do not have.)
NMEA Output Setup:Port 2→All sentences ON
NMEA Port Setting:Port 2→AIS 38400 (the other options are NMEA 4800 and NavTex.)
NMEA Output Setup:Port 3→is greyed out
NMEA Port Setting:Port 3→NMEA 4800 (There are no other choices)

This results in
Menu→System Setup→System Diagnostics→
External Interfaces→
SeaTalk→ Lots of send/receive
Seatalk HS (Ethernet)→ Link status UP, IP Address, etc.
NMEA Port 1 (NMEA 4800)→ Many transmitted, none received
NMEA Port 2 (AIS 38400)→ Many transmitted, none received
NMEA Port 3 (NMEA 4800)→ None transmitted, none received
SeaTalkNG→ Lots of send/receive

On the laptop (Linux) we do
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 4800
cat /dev/ttyUSB0
by either root or user in either simulation ON or OFF returns
$APHDG,93.8,,,,*6A
$APHDG,93.8,,,,*6A
$APRSA,-26.60,A,,*11
and a host of other similar entries. These seem to be the ouput of the Autopilot even though it is in standby?

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 38400
cat /dev/ttyUSB0
returns nothing.

>Typically the NMEA 0183 port which will be interfaced to anything other than an AIS receiver/transceiver will be configured to "NMEA 4800'.
That would be ports 1 or 3 above

>Typically, an AIS500 would have been interfaced to a C-Series Widescreen MFD via SeaTalkng communications protocol. Should the MFD have instead been interfaced to the MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol, then that port would need to be configured to "AIS 38400".
As noted, it “just worked” a couple of years ago and we haven't changed anything but the laptop. So presumably, the AIS information goes to the MFD and thence via RS-232/NMEA0183 to the laptop?
As described, the MFD reports all ports as very active, but the RS-232 line only shows $APGDG and $APRSA sentences.

>Finally, the AIS Objects configuration setting within the Chart application page/pane being viewed must be configured to ON.
And, therein lies the problem:
The manual says:
Enabling and disabling AIS silent mode
In the chart or radar application:
1.2.Press the MENU button.
Using the trackpad, highlight the AIS Layer Setup menu item,
then press the trackpad right to select it.

But in my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist.

Continuing:

>Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the NO AIS problem reported.
>- Verify that the Chart application page's/pane's AIS Layer (MENU->PRESENTATION->OVERLAYS->AIS) has been configured ON.
My unit does not expose that. We have

Went through the FAQs, thanks, no joy.

So the bottom line is
In my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item seems not to exist.
11-09-16, 04:56 PM
Andy,

Q1: It would seem that in my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist
A1: Please note that the command sequences specified within the previously referenced FAQs are those required for Raymarine's currently manufactured a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs running the latest software available at the time of this response. For the corresponding command sequences for C-Series Widescreen MFDs, please consult the C-Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays Reference Manual.

Q2: The AIS Layer Setup menu item cited in your second FAQ seems not to exist in my system.
A2: See the response to Q1 above. The command sequence to enable the AIS chart layer for a C-Series Widescreen MFD should be PRESENTATION->CHART LAYERS->CHART LAYERS->AIS OBJECTS->ON.

Q3: AIS 38400 is an option on Port 2, but not elsewhere.
A3: Raymarine AIS receivers/transceivers may be interfaced to C-Series Widescreen MFDs via either SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. Third party AIS transceivers may only be interfaced to a C-Series Widescreen MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol. As you have suggested, only Port 2 of a C-Series Widescreen MFD may be configured to AIS 38000. Accordingly, only the MFD's Port 2 may be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 source of AIS data. The first step in determining why the MFD is not displaying AIS objects is to first determine whether the MFD is interfaced to an AIS receiver / transceiver, and if so, whether the AIS receiver has been interfaced to the MFD via SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. In the case of the latter, the MFD's Port 2 must be configured to AIS 38400.

Q4. I am getting $APHDG and $APRSA sentences from the RS-232 connection to the Laptop (via a Gigaware USB-A to Serial adapter between the DB-9 RS232 connector and the laptop), but these are not listed in the setup sentences and the setup sentences do not appear.
A4. Based upon the sentences which you have specified to be receiving, it appears that you have interfaced the serial to USB adapter to the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot course computer. Autopilots are not designed to function as system NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk or SeaTalkng data bridging devices. Accordingly the sentences which your PC is receiving are limited to heading and rudder angle data. You may want to consider interfacing the serial to USB adapter to the MFD's Port 1 input/output leads. That port should be configured to NMEA 4800.

Q5. The second FAQ differs slightly from my MENU sequences, but my AIS Objects are set to ON:
Q5. As indicated above, the command sequences specified within the previously referenced FAQs are those required for Raymarine's currently manufactured a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs running the latest software available at the time of this response. For the corresponding command sequences for C-Series Widescreen MFDs, please consult the C-Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays Reference Manual. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, the MFD must also have acquired or be receiving a GPS FIX data to plot AIS target data.

Q6. So it looks like it is time to call in a paid technician to sort it out. I was hoping that there was something simple that I was missing in the morass of information, but apparently there is not.
A6. Should you have satisfied the above and be satisfied that your MFD NMEA 0183 ports are operational via the wraparound testing method previously specified, then you may want to seek some assistance from a Certified Raymarine Installer. It is strongly recommended that when interfacing a computer to a Raymarine system that the installer that you will be enlisting the services of be notified in advance.
12-01-16, 09:58 PM
We need to change the thread title to
How to enable GPS output to NMEA 0183 data bus

Thanks again to all. Ideas anyone? How to turn on the GPS NMEA 0183 output?

Conclusion:
The GPS is not putting its sentences on the NMEA 0183 bus, even though the Autohelm instruments are clearly sending NMEA 0183 sentences, the GPS is functioning (sending position to both the VHF radio and the C120W display), and NMEA 0183 Heading sentences are being presented to and recognized by the RNS 6.2 software.

------
Chuck hello.

The question now is:
How to enable GPS NMEA 0183 sentences to the Raymarine 0183 bus?

===== Details =====

This has been a very interesting exercise in wire tracing and analysis. We are making progress.

In short:
• This is entirely a Raymarine installation, no 3rd party instruments.
• The Autohelm Instruments communicate among themselves and the Classic C120W socket #1 on SeaTalkng (I've traced the blue and white striped wiring).
• The laptop is running Linux (openSUSE Leap 42.1).
• The Autohelm instruments transmit NMEA 0183 sentences to a DB-9 RS-232 connection to the laptop (tested). Pins 2, 3, and 5 are respectively White, Yellow, and Brown. If I turn off the Autohelm instruments the sentences stop.
• The RS-232 DB-9 connector connects to the laptop USB port with a GigaWare USB-A to Serial cable.
Under Linux we can read the NMEA 0183 output:
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 4800
cat /dev/ttyUSB0
shows autopilot sentences:
$APHDG,93.8,,,,*6A
$APRSA,-26.60,A,,*11
You have identified these as autopilot sentences and indeed RNS 6.2 shows the boat's direction correctly, but not it's position. It also recognizes "Heading" as an instrument.
• The laptop has Oracle VirtualBox installed.
+ VirtualBox recognizes the USB-Serial adapter as a USB device.
• Windows 10 is running inside the VirtualBox.
+ Windows 10 Device Manager recognizes the adapter as USB to Serial Cable (COM4)
• RNS 6.2 is running inside Windows 10.
+ RNS > Setup > Instruments > Automatically Config detects NMEA on COM4 as "Raymarine NMEA 183 Instruments" protocol.
+ RNS > Setup > Instruments > NMEA on COM4 > What is Connected detects only "Heading":
This correlates with the detected autopilot sentences above. So, whether Linux, VirtualBox, Windows 10, or RNS 6.2 the only recognizable NMEA 0183 ASCII stream is autopilot heading and speed, even though GPS is active and providing data to the VHF radio and C120W display on the SeaTalkNG bus.

Conclusion:
The GPS is not putting its sentences on the NMEA 0183 bus, even though the Autohelm instruments are clearly sending NMEA 0183, the GPS is functioning (sending position to both the VHF radio and the C120W display), and NMEA 0183 Heading sentences are being presented to and recognized by the RNS 6.2 software.

==================
Ideas anyone? How to turn on the GPS NMEA 0183 output?

Thanks again.

Cheers, Andy
12-02-16, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-16 04:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

I'm glad that we had time to discuss this issue over the phone. Per our conversation the NMEA 0183 output which you have supplied is being output from the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 output socket ... i.e. if you trace the serial data cable back to where it has been interfaced to the Raymarine system, you will likely find that it terminate at the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 Port 1. This port transmits NMEA 0183 heading (HDG) and rudder angle (RSA) sentences featuring the NMEA 0183 talker ID of an autopilot source (AP). I suspect that the serial data cable was installed to support a direct connection between the autopilot and the PC to permit the PC to function as the system's chartplotter should a failure of the C-Series Widescreen MFD occur.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface a PC running a compatible operating system and RayTech RNS 6.2 software to a C-Series Widescreen MFD. This is the method for interfacing a PC running RayTech RNS 6.2 software would support not only communications of high bandwidth graphical data such as Navionics cartography, radar imagery, and fishfinder imagery, but also alphanumeric waypoint, route, gps, instrument, AIS, alarm, and system state data. It is recommended that the Ethernet cable at your PC's station be traced back to determine whether this cable has been interfaced to the Raymarine system in the manner specified within the FAQ referenced above. That said, the computer which you have recently acquired would not be supported for use the RayTech software because it is not only running the Windows 10 operating systems, but is also doing so via a Windows operating system emulation. As you have indicated that you have another PC which runs the Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system, it is recommended that the other PC used accordingly. Should the PC lack an Ethernet socket, then it would be recommended that a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter be used to support networking the PC to your marine electronics system.