Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running two sounders on one network
11-06-16, 08:11 AM
Running two sounders on one network
Chuck,
First thank you for all your help on the forum. You are the MAN!
I have all my previous questions answered and am moving forward with my install. I am using my 9" mfd and airmar traducer. I have a cp470 to install with the proper transducer and would like to run both. I have search the threads and know that the cp470 chirp can operate in conjunction with a 200MHz sounder. I want to gang my mfds and my question is can I have them daisy chained and selection which sounder I want to use? I realize I can do separate systems running the cp470 on my 7" and I am ok with that if that is what I would have to do.
I hope my question makes sense, I like the idea of a second sounder.
Thanks Again,
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-16, 03:46 PM
RE: Running two sounders on one network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. I want to gang my mfds and my question is can I have them daisy chained and selection which sounder I want to use? I realize I can do separate systems running the cp470 on my 7" and I am ok with that if that is what I would have to do.
A1. It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested. On my own vessel, I have five a & e-Series MFD networked to one another and to four different fishfinder sounders ... each operating simultaneously. Should the MFD's have insufficient Ethernet NETWORK sockets to support such daisy chaining, then a HS5 RayNet Network Switch may be installed to permit all of the devices featuring an Ethernet interface to be networked to one another.
12-05-16, 03:34 PM
preamble: wholeheartedly agree with davej - Chuck, you are incredibly helpful for all of us DIY'ers here. Many thanks!

Like davej I am in the process of adding a second transducer (CPT-120) to my dual e125 installation on my 44 Sundancer as we speak. I thought I read somewhere that
- you can only have one source of data for the same item (e.g. depth)
- you can't really have two depth sounders close to each other (interference)
- running two sounders might overload the power draw

Since I just learned that the CPT-120 requires a smaller diameter thruhull than the existing Airmar, we are discussing reglassing and drilling smaller [censored], or, a new location. With you running 4 sounders simultaneously, my concerns seem unnecessary on all counts. True? If yes, and like davej again, I love redundancy, so it's all great news it seems.

Now, I assume that there is a minimal distance to be observed between the transducers - how much would you recommend as minimal distance?

Thanks in advance!
12-05-16, 04:33 PM
Mountain Boy at Sea,

Q1 Like davej I am in the process of adding a second transducer (CPT-120) to my dual e125 installation on my 44 Sundancer as we speak. I thought I read somewhere that
- you can only have one source of data for the same item (e.g. depth)
A1: It is indeed possible to simultaneously operate more than one fishfinder/depth sounding product within a network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and i50/i60/i70 Instruments. The specification of single source applies to the numerical Depth value displayed by an instrument or within the Databar, Data application, or Databoxes of all applications (except Fishfinder applications page/panes) of a Raymarine a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. The Depth Databox within an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Q2 - you can't really have two depth sounders close to each other (interference)
A2 - It is typically recommended that some spacing between fishfinder transducers (ex. install thru-hull transducers opposite sides of the keel)

Q3 - running two sounders might overload the power draw
A3 - Not likely. On my 22' Mercruiser I/O powered deck boat, I am simultaneously operating the following:
e7D w/P66 xducer (epoxied inside hull)
DSM300 w/M260 (installed inside hull opposite P66)
a78 w/CPT-100 (installed starboard side of transom)
CP200 w/CPT-200 (installed port side of transom)
and five MFDs

Q4 - Since I just learned that the CPT-120 requires a smaller diameter thruhull than the existing Airmar, we are discussing reglassing and drilling smaller [censored], or, a new location. With you running 4 sounders simultaneously, my concerns seem unnecessary on all counts. True? If yes, and like davej again, I love redundancy, so it's all great news it seems.
A4 - See the response to Q3. Any interference that is visible on my system is quite minimal.

Q5 - Now, I assume that there is a minimal distance to be observed between the transducers - how much would you recommend as minimal distance?
A5 - Raymarine's engineering team has not specified minimum separation distances for transducers ... see the reference above