Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GS165 and eS98 network
11-09-16, 07:08 PM
GS165 and eS98 network
This winter will spent updating my old 2006 electronics package. Currently
I'm using Classic e120, Smart pilot autopilot, Dsm300 sonar with a P66 transducer and Raydome Radar.

I just ordered the Gs165 and was thinking about mounting a eS98 next to it.
The GS165 needs an external gps antenna and the optional remote key pad.
My plan is to have the eS98 provide the gs165 with the gps info from its built in antenna and also control both displays using the eS98 key pad.
Right? Will the gps work that way? will it be as accurate as the external 130 antenna?

I will also be adding an Evolution Autopilot to my type 1 pump for my Verados.
A CP470 with High/Low transducers. The E98 is down vision capable and I will utilize that for my inshore fishing.
Also I'm on the fence for the new radar. Quantum Chirp or Digital HD dome.
The Digital HD unit has a bird setting, but I would think the Quantam Chirp would also be very good at picking up birds? any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-16, 07:42 PM
RE: GS165 and eS98 network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Firewood,

Q1) My plan is to have the eS98 provide the gs165 with the gps info from its built in antenna and also control both displays using the eS98 key pad.
Right?
A1) While it is possible to interface the eS-Series MFD to the gS-Series MFD to share system resources, data, and cartography, it is not possible to use the keypad of an c/e/eS-Series MFD to remotely control a gS-Series MFD. Instead, the gS-Series MFD must be interfaced to a RMK-9 Remote Keypad

Q2) Will the gps work that way? will it be as accurate as the external 130 antenna?
A2) As indicated within Q1, resources and data are shared between networked MFD. Accordingly, they will share GPS data. GPS accuracy will be maximized when the system's GPS sensing device is afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. In situations where the MFD will not be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, it would be recommended that the system include a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor (successor to the Raystar 130) or a GA-150 antenna (to be mated to the eS-Series MFD.

Q3) Also I'm on the fence for the new radar. Quantum Chirp or Digital HD dome.
The Digital HD unit has a bird setting, but I would think the Quantam Chirp would also be very good at picking up birds? any thoughts?
A3) The HD radomes recommended over the Quantum radomes for spotting birds. Accordingly, it is recommended that a RD418HD or RD424HD be considered for this fishing application.
11-10-16, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-16 12:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
GPS RA-150 can be hooked to either the gs165 or the es98? Only asking because the es98 might be a later add on. I'm second thinking what I'll use for the additional display since the eS keypad won't control the gS.
The RMK-9 will handle both? I remember seeing that in the video.
11-10-16, 12:46 PM
Firewood,

Unlike the GA150 GPS Antenna which is designed to be interfaced only to the GPS antenna sockets of the a9x, a12x, eS9x and eS12x MFDs, the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor is designed to be interfaced to SeaTalkng backbone. This would make the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor compatible with any Raymarine MFD which had been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone and had been configured as the systems Data Master MFD (in this case the gS165).

The RMK-9 may be configured to remotely control either the gS-Series MFD or the eS-Series MFD.
11-10-16, 03:13 PM
Okay- So the gS165 would be my Master with the GA-150 antenna and the RMK-9 remote. I could then add a eS98 or more likely an A98.
The A98 would be a clean install, no need for the eS keypad.
The A98 would also give me built in Down Vision to go along with my CP470.

I guess I could use a gS95, but that unit would not include the down vision and be double the price of the A98. But the A98 is back to the surface coating on the screen which I'm try to stay away from. either way the 9" screen will come later so I have time to think about it.

Chuck - thanks for your prompt info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I gather all the new components for my upgrade.
11-10-16, 03:39 PM
Q1. Okay- So the gS165 would be my Master with the GA-150 antenna and the RMK-9 remote.
A1. Not quite correct. While the gS165 would be configured as the Data Master, the GA150 is not compatible with gS-Series MFDs. Should the eS98 MFD not be installed along with the gS-Series MFD, then a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor would need to be interfaced to the gS165.

Q2: I could then add a eS98 or more likely an A98. The A98 would be a clean install, no need for the eS keypad. The A98 would also give me built in Down Vision to go along with my CP470.
A2: While there is nothing technically incorrect with this statement, MFD lacking a keypad not typically be recommended to be installed in locations where they may be exposed to wet operating conditions, as touch screen operation may be adversely affected in wet operating conditions. In such conditions, it would be recommended that a MFD featuring a keypad be installed and that the MFD have a Touch Lock feature (makes touch screen inactive to permit interaction strictly via keypad). As a-Series MFDs do not feature a keypad, they do not offer a Touch Lock feature.

Q3. I guess I could use a gS95, but that unit would not include the down vision and be double the price of the A98. But the A98 is back to the surface coating on the screen which I'm try to stay away from. either way the 9" screen will come later so I have time to think about it.
A3. Please note that it is possible to interface a gS-Series MFD to a CP100 CHIRP(Conical) Sonar / DownVision Sonar Fishfinder Module w/compatible transducer to support this same fishfinding capability without having to install another MFD onboard.
11-11-16, 01:17 PM
Okay -
I'm confused. The GA150 Gps Antennae VS. Raystar 150 Antennae, I seem to only find the GS150 and a Raystar 130. I don't find a Raystar 150? I'm guessing its just a typo -

So the gS165 needs a Raystar130?

The A,E,and eS series use the built-in or a GA150?
11-11-16, 02:40 PM
Firewood,

Per my prior responses, the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor has been designed as the replacement for the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. Raymarine announced this replacement to its dealers last week ... Raymarine's website hasn't caught up yet.

GPS sensors (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, etc.) combine an antenna and receiver within a single housing. GPS sensors output processed GPS data in NMEA 2000, NMEA 0183, SeaTalkng, SeaTalk, or other proprietary communications formats. In contrast, a GPS antenna has about as much processing capability as your car's FM whip antenna. GPS antennas and GPS Sensors are designed to be installed where they will have an unobstructed view of the skies overhead to maximize the sensed GPS signal strength. In contrast to GPS sensors, GPS antennas (ex GA150 GPS Antenna, etc.) simply collect and pass GPS satellite signals to an interfaced GPS receiver, such at that found within the a9x, a12x eS9x and eS12x MFDs. Other models of a-Series MFDs and eS-Series MFDs Raymarine, as well as the c/e/gS-Series MFDs, do not feature an interface for a external GPS antenna. Accordingly, should one of the latter MFDs alone be installed onboard and it either not feature an internal GPS receiver/antenna (ex. e165 MFD, gS-Series MFDs) or not be located where it will be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it will need to be interfaced to an external GPS sensor such as the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor.
11-11-16, 03:42 PM
Ok, that makes sense now. I was just lost because I couldn't find the Raystar 150 as an option.

Thank you for your help in sorting this out for me.
11-11-16, 05:50 PM
You're welcome.