Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing SeaTalk & SeaTalkNG Auto Pilot Heads with S3
11-10-16, 11:42 AM
Mixing SeaTalk & SeaTalkNG Auto Pilot Heads with S3
Hello -

I would like to install a second Auto Pilot head as I have 2 helms. I currently have a ST6002 with an S3 communicating over SeaTalk (all have latest software upgrades). I also have an E125, thus I have a SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter already installed.

Question - Can I install a P70 on the NG network and will it work in parrallel with the ST6002 and S3?

I am slowly moving away from the old ST instruments, but trying to do it piece by piece.

I have attached a diagram of my current config.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-16, 12:36 PM
RE: Mixing SeaTalk & SeaTalkNG Auto Pilot Heads with S3
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lwitty,

It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested. In this case, the SeaTalkng backbone created by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be extended to create an additional spur socket then permit the p70 to be interfaced to the system.
12-19-16, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the response Chuck. I have received my RS130, ITC-5, 2 I70s and 1 P70 and have started the install. Everything seems to be working fine, but had 1 question about SeaTalk power.

Currently, I power the ST1 and the NG networks through the ST1 --> NG converter. Since I still have my older ST6002 & S3 running ST1, what is the best way to power the networks:
1) Keep it the same with power coming into the converter with no other power coming into the ST1 or NG network (currently have red wire disconnected on S3).
2) Move power to the ITC-5 and remove from converter?
3) Any circumstance do I reconnect the red ST1 wire on the S3?

Just wanted to double check before I finalize wiring.

Thanks!
12-19-16, 09:10 AM
lwitty,

Option 3 from your list should not be exercised. The location of the SeaTalkng power insertion point is not based upon any particular component within the SeaTalkng backbone. Instead, the spur socket used to power the SeaTalkng backbone should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.