Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ev-200 S-turns
11-14-16, 05:47 AM
Ev-200 S-turns
Hello Chuck
Have been noticing when underway that my AP does S turns in both auto or in route to waypoint , can be as much as 8 degrees to either side of course in calm waters.
I have tried a few things, setting from performance to cruising , also tried setting gps datum to internal gps from auto (which should that be?) anyhow didn't make a difference.
I did notice when cleaning cabin after my trip that I had a pair of plyers laying on top of my heading sensor wire but did not go back out to check to see if that was it .
EV-200 with pr70, a78 all updated when calibration was done I think it was 4 degrees.
Thanks again for your help
Jeff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-16, 03:48 PM
RE: Ev-200 S-turns
Jeff,

Troubleshooting should begin by ensuring that the autopilot's EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU, and p70/p70R have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Following the latest software update, care must be taken to ensure that the autopilot was reset (not to be confused with resetting the control head), Dockside Wizard executed, and cruise to establish deviation table / vessel handling characteristics performed.

Afterwards, should S-ing occur, then it is recommended that the system's speed through water sensor (if equipped) calculated Speed be compared to SOG to ensure that these values are close. If not, then the Speed through water sensor should be calibrated to match SOG at the speed at which the autopilot is typically executed. Should a fault with the Speed through water sensor be identified, then the autopilot should be configured to use SOG instead of Speed until the Speed through water sensor has been fixed/replaced.

Finally, performance of autopilots will be maximized when interfaced to a rudder reference transducer. Is your autopilot interfaced to a rudder reference transducer ... tested by placing the autopilot in Standby mode and then rotating the vessel's wheel or moving the vessel's tiller. Should the rudder bar shown on the autopilot control head indicate corresponding rudder movement when in Standby mode, then a rudder reference transducer has been interfaced to the autopilot.

Finally, it is normal for an autopilot to "S" to a degree when operating in Track mode, as the function of track mode is to maintain the vessel within an imaginary corridor running from the departure point to the waypoint/cursor locations and whose width is determined by the setting the Response Level setting. Configuring the Response Level to the Performance setting will maintain the smallest corridor width and tightest course handling (smallest magnitude "S"), while the Leisure setting will permit the largest corridor width and slower response to rejoining the course (largest magnitude "S").
11-18-16, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-16 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck
Would this be a option for my AP setup? not sure of how to tie electrical portion in as it looks like it comes with bare ends
Teleflex AR4502RM
11-18-16, 08:45 AM
hoejef,

The AR4502RM version of the Teleflex SmartStick is commonly used in conjunction with Raymarine autopilots which have been installed to steer outboard driven vessels. The AR4502RM version of the Teleflex SmartStick should be provided within installation instructions specifying which leads should be mated to the ACU200's color coded Rudder terminals.
11-18-16, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-16 11:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck
was thinking it hooked a78 but yes that makes sense
11-18-16, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-16 11:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
hoejef,

You're welcome. In order to use the autopilot's Track mode feature, the autopilot must be interfaced to a chartplotting product such as your a78 MFD. However, the ACU has several connection terminals and one set of those is for a rudder reference transducer.
11-22-16, 03:24 AM
I haven't seen zig-zagging since the first run of software was released. I have yet to see a boat that needed a RFU to steer straight. --- and out West, we have some wicked conditions to contend with.

I would really question the software version and would recommend a reset and recalibrate. This doesn't sound right.

Maybe what boat/motor this system is on could be ascertained as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-24-17, 05:02 AM
Just bringing this thread back up for others users .
So long story kind off short I was never able to pin point what the problem was until recent. I had recently had both rams rebuilt and realized when I had disconnected hydraulics that one of my motors I could hardly move by hand , I realized before disconnecting that steering was hard to turn but didn't realize it was that bad until hydraulics were out of picture. I had a steering arm that was froze up.
now that that's taken care of unit seems to work fine.
Thanks all for your help
04-24-17, 10:08 AM
You're welcome and thanks for the update.