Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrades to Existing Raymarine System on B35.5
11-16-16, 12:15 PM
Upgrades to Existing Raymarine System on B35.5
I just bought a Bristol 35.5 with the following instrumentation: i50 Speed, i50 Depth, i60 Wind, p70 Autopilot Controller and SPX-5 Course Computer. The instruments are connected to one SeaTalkNG network using a 5 point connector and the Autopilot and Course Computer to a second SeaTalkNG network using another 5 point connector. I would like to connect the two networks and add an a75 MFD with WiFi to complete the network. Are there any potential compatibility problems with this plan? I plan to disconnect the power to one network, connect the two 5 point connectors with a backbone cable and use a T piece with spur cable and terminator to connect the MFD to the system. Do you see any complications with this plan? Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-16, 02:44 PM
RE: Upgrades to Existing Raymarine System on B35.5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tnauck,

You appear to have a firm grasp on how to join these two SeaTalkng backbones and no problems should be anticipated after having ensured that all of the products having a SeaTalkng communications interface have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. The only other comment that I have would be to ensure the the power insertion spur is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
11-17-16, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-16 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your review and suggestions. I'll get back to you if there are any other questions.
11-17-16, 01:35 PM
You're welcome.
11-25-16, 03:54 PM
The STNG system that the p70 controller and SPX-5 course computer are connected to is powered by the SPX-5, which is connected to the DC breaker panel. I plan to disconnect the STNG power cable from this system when I connect this system to the instrument system with a backbone cable. The instrument system will then provide the power to the expanded STNG system. Do I also need to disconnect the SPX-5 from the DC breaker panel, or does it need to remain connected to provide power to the wheel drive unit which is also connected to the SPX-5?
11-26-16, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-16 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tnauck,

As the SPX5 and ACU100 are not designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng backbone, I believe that you may have meant to state that the same power circuit which is presently responsible for supplying power to the SPX5 autopilot course computer is also responsible for supplying power to your SeaTalkng backbone. Autopilot course computers and ACUs are not designed to be powered from a SeaTalkng backbone or SeaTalk bus. Accordingly, their respective power terminals must be connected to a switched power circuit. Your suggestion to supply power to the SeaTalkng backbone and SPX5 from different power circuits is indeed permissible and is actually considered to be a best practice as indicated in the FAQ found here.
04-05-17, 06:12 AM
What additional piece of equipment do I need to drive the onboard Wi-Fi network? I want to link the a75 w/wi-fi to my iPad to use the Raymarine remote app, but I'm unclear as to what I need to establish the onboard wi-fi network. I checked the FAQ section, but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
04-05-17, 09:23 AM
Tnauck,

This subject is covered in detail within section 21.4 Raymarine mobile apps of the LightHouse II Release 17 Operating Instructions. In a nutshell, you need simply to:
1) configure your MFD's Wi-Fi communications Circuitry to ON,
2) configure the MFD's MOBILE APPS configuration setting to "Remote Control" or "Viewing Only" to suit your needs
3) configure your mobile device's Wi-Fi settings to connect to the MFD's SSID (i.e. the Wi-Fi name assigned to your MFD)
4) run the Raymarine mobile app (i.e. RayView, RayControl (for tablets only), or RayRemote (for smartphones only))
04-06-17, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the additional clarification on the wi-fi connectivity between the a75MFD and my iPad. Planning to purchase a RD 418HD radar to complete the system. Hope to have it all installed and operational by the end of the month. Appreciate your help.
04-06-17, 08:40 AM
You're welcome.