Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating transducers
11-17-16, 12:41 PM
Updating transducers
Hello.

I need some advice on updating transducers for a 32 ft sailboat we use for coastal and Caribbean cruising.

Current configuration:

ST60 Wind
ST60 Depth
ST60 Speed
Unknown transducers, (circa 2001) one speed, one depth.
For navigation we run Navionics on our iPad.
Installing an EV-200 Autopilot

Questions:

Are the transducers that run the ST60s out of date or otherwise in need of upgrade?

Which transducers would you suggest?

Should we want to switch to a Raymarine eS MFD, will our current transducers be sufficient?

If not, which would you suggest for integration into an MFD in the future?

We will be hauling the boat soon for painting and repairs and could replace transducers at the same time.

Thanks for your help,

Nancy Bartlett
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-16, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 12:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Updating transducers
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Nancy,

Q1. Are the transducers that run the ST60s out of date or otherwise in need of upgrade?
A1. You will likely find that the designs transducers which have been installed for use with your ST60 instruments have not changed and are currently the same as those recommended for use with Raymarine's i50 and i60 Instruments and iTC-5

Q2. Which transducers would you suggest?
A2. See the response to Q1. Should the currently installed transducers be operational, then there should be no need to replace them. However instrument transducers are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. If seeking to replace the analog Depth-only transducer, then the most commonly installed instrument analog depth transducer is the D800/P17. Other Raymarine instrument Depth-only transducers may be found here. If seeking to replace the Speed/Temp transducer, then the most commonly installed instrument analog speed/temp transducer is the ST800 / P120 (Plastic). Other Raymarine instrument analog Speed/Temp transducers may be found here.

Q2. Should we want to switch to a Raymarine eS MFD, will our current transducers be sufficient?
A2. Analog instrument transducers cannot be interfaced to Raymarine MFDs. However the ST60 instruments may be adapted with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to support supplying an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD with depth, speed, and wind data. Please note that instrument transducers will not support use of a MFDs's fishfinder features. Should fishfinder capabilities be desired within the MFD, then a compatible Fishfinder Transducer would need to be installed and interfaced to the MFD's TRANSDUCER socket.
08-10-17, 06:21 PM
Hi Chuck,

I found your answer above quite helpful, and would like to ask a couple of follow up questions to clarify things for me.

We have on our sailboat the ST60 instruments for depth, speed and temp ..and as you mentioned above they are fed by the "analog" transducers and work reasonably well, (the temp portion is inaccurate). They are networked to our C90W multifunction display.
I would now like to add the DSM30 fishfinder module to the system; from what I understand from your answer above, do I need to install an additional DSM30 compatible transducer?
If so, would the In-Hull version be suitable for our fibreglass 1.5 thick hull?
Would a thru-hull be more effective?
Or is there one transducer that will do the job for the ST 60 instruments, the C90W and the DSM30?

Thanks for your help!

Dave
08-14-17, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. I would now like to add the DSM30 fishfinder module to the system; from what I understand from your answer above, do I need to install an additional DSM30 compatible transducer?
A1. Yes, a compatible fishfinder transducer will need to be installed. However, Raymarine no longer offers the DSM30, DSM300, and CP300. A CP370 fishfinder sounder module should be purchased to support adding fishfinder features to the system.

Q2. If so, would the In-Hull version be suitable for our fibreglass 1.5 thick hull? Would a thru-hull be more effective?
A2. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. A thru-hull transducer would be recommended for a hull having the thickness specified.

Q3. Or is there one transducer that will do the job for the ST 60 instruments, the C90W and the DSM30?
A3. Should a fishfinder sounder module and compatible transducer be installed and interfaced to the MFD, and should the instrument depth transducer be disconnected from ST60 instruments, and should the ST60 instrument be configured as a Depth repeater, then depth data processed from the C90W may be repeated on the ST60 instruments. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the temperature issue raised. Thru-hull speed/temperature transducer failure may commonly be corrected by replacement of the transducer's speed/temp insert. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may obtain transducer parts.
08-14-17, 01:33 PM
Thanks Chuck,

That was very helpful.

1. So to clarify, I would only need one transducer. I replace the old ST60 depth t/d with a compatible transducer to the fishfinder that links via the SeaTalkHS to the C90W which repeats that info to the depth instrument. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, eh?

2. I'll replace the paddlewheel and see how that works. In fact along with the inaccurate temp, the speed info is low as well. Am I correct that this is related?

Thanks Again

Dave
08-14-17, 01:41 PM
Dave,

Q1. 1. So to clarify, I would only need one transducer. I replace the old ST60 depth t/d with a compatible transducer to the fishfinder that links via the SeaTalkHS to the C90W which repeats that info to the depth instrument. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, eh?
A1. Correct.

Q2. I'll replace the paddlewheel and see how that works. In fact along with the inaccurate temp, the speed info is low as well. Am I correct that this is related?
A2. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, +/9.9 degrees of temperature adjustment are supported within the ST60 instrument's settings. The FAQ addresses what should be done if the reported temp error is greater than 9.9 degrees. Similarly, speed may be calibrated via the instruments settings. However, as paddlewheel transducers have non-linear errors, the reported speed will be most accurate when operating the vessel at the speed at which the instrument was calibrated. Raymarine also offer instruments (i.e. i70S w/iTC-5) which offer multi-point speed calibration to support greater accuracy across a wider range of speeds.