Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connecting CW-series with E-classic
11-30-16, 02:27 AM
connecting CW-series with E-classic
I have a C90W and a C120W on the boat and want to add 2 E80 classic displays to the network. The CW series will be in charge of the radome and the DSM300, the E-series will display engine data and GPS (using an external GPS antenna). I understand that the CW-series and the E-classics are not compatible but I came up with a potential idea that may work (see diagram). Will it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-16, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-16 09:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: connecting CW-series with E-classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dbernal,

As you have suggested, E-Series Classic MFDs may not be interfaced to the same Ethernet Network that includes C-Series Widescreen MFDs. While not officially tested, an E-Series Classic MFD are somewhat commonly interfaced to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which also includes a C-Series Widescreen MFD. While interfacing the E-Series Classic MFDs and C-Series Widescreen MFDs in this manner will support sharing of GPS, instrument, alarm, and autopilot controls, and system state data, it will not support sharing of waypoints, routes, tracks, or graphical data (ex. cartography, radar imagery, fishfinder imagery, SiriusXM weather, and SiriusXM Satellite Radio).

General comments:
- as only the Data Master C-Series Widescreen MFD and Data Master E-Series Classic MFD will communicate directly with a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, only these two MFDs need be interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone ... unless the additional interfaces which your diagram shows are intended for redundancy purposes.
- unlike Raymarine's current generation of products, the products shown within your diagram do not support multiple sources of any specific type of data (ex. GPS, Wind, Depth, Speed, etc.). Accordingly, should an external GPS sensor be interfaced to the system, then the internal GPS sensors of the C-Series Widescreen MFDs would need to be configured OFF.
- You have incorrectly indicated that an A06043 1M STRIPPED END SPUR CABLE may be used to interface the RS125 to the SeaTalkng backbone. Your diagram will need to be changed to include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with v1.21 or higher software) which will be installed as a backbone component to which the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor.
- If seeking a level of redundancy to support radar within the system in the event of a failure of the C120W, then it would be recommended that the radome be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch rather than to the C120W's SeaTalkHS socket.
- update the autopilot control heads and SPX autopilot course computer with the latest available software updates.
02-27-17, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 12:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the help. I am finally back on this project. Two quick questions based on your comments:

your comment was "- If seeking a level of redundancy to support radar within the system in the event of a failure of the C120W, then it would be recommended that the radome be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch rather than to the C120W's SeaTalkHS socket."

question 1) can i have 2 SeaTalkhs Network Switches in a system. At the moment the existing SeaTalkhs Network Switch is by the lower helm and the radome cable will not reach it. If possible I can add an additional SeaTalkhs Network Switch to the upper station and connect the radome and C90W to it, then connect that switch to the other one in the lower helm. Is that possible?

your comment was "You have incorrectly indicated that an A06043 1M STRIPPED END SPUR CABLE may be used to interface the RS125 to the SeaTalkng backbone. Your diagram will need to be changed to include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with v1.21 or higher software) which will be installed as a backbone component to which the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor.

question 2) At the moment the cable that is connected to the RS125 ends in bare wires. Your suggestion is connect the RS125 wire to the backbone using a Seatalk1 to Seatalk ng converter. However, the converter R52131 is a yellow Seatalk 1 plug. What can I use to plug into the R52131. Is this a A06047 to which I can splice the wires from the RS125?
02-27-17, 01:28 PM
dbernal,

Q1) can i have 2 SeaTalkhs Network Switches in a system. At the moment the existing SeaTalkhs Network Switch is by the lower helm and the radome cable will not reach it. If possible I can add an additional SeaTalkhs Network Switch to the upper station and connect the radome and C90W to it, then connect that switch to the other one in the lower helm. Is that possible?
A1) It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested. Were one to use SeaTalkhs Network Switches, then the two switches may be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of Raymarine RJ45 (M) to RJ45 (M) Ethernet Patch Cable.

Q2) At the moment the cable that is connected to the RS125 ends in bare wires. Your suggestion is connect the RS125 wire to the backbone using a Seatalk1 to Seatalk ng converter. However, the converter R52131 is a yellow Seatalk 1 plug. What can I use to plug into the R52131. Is this a A06047 to which I can splice the wires from the RS125?
A2) The A06047 is not applicable for such adaptation. Some current Raymarine products (ex. i50/i60 Instruments, i70 MFID, p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads) are designed to support being used as direct replacements for corresponding retired Raymarine products (ex. ST60 Instruments, ST600x/ST700X/ST800X Autopilot Control Heads) and as such their communications interfaces may be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus (using the referenced R52131 Cable) or SeaTalkng backbone (via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable), but not both. Accordingly, the R52131 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable contains no microprocessor to support data bridging between the SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications protocols. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be spliced to the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's cable. The other end of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would then be plugged into the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
03-29-17, 11:46 AM
Chuck, sorry to bug one more time. Just a quick question. If I have the CSeriesWide connected to the backbone and there is also an ESeries Classic on that backbone, can the ESeriesClasssic get the GPS data from the internal GPS in the CWide, or do I have to get an external GPS and turn off the CWide internal GPS so that both get the GPS?
Thanks
Diego
03-29-17, 12:43 PM
Diego,

Should:
- both the E-Series Classic MFD and C-Series Widescreen MFD both be interfaced as spur to the SeaTalkng backbone, and
- both have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, and
- the C-Series Widescreen MFD's internal GPS be configured ON, and
- the C-Series Widescreen MFD is installed in a location permitting it to receive sufficient GPS satellite signal strength to acquire and maintain a GPS position FIX, and
- no other GPS data source be interfaced to the system,
then GPS data from the C-Series Widescreen MFD will be shared with other devices (ex. your E-Series Classic MFD) which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone.