Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray49 VHF
08-04-16, 10:16 PM
Ray49 VHF
My Ray 49 is not transmitting or receiving. Is this an antenna issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-16, 02:27 PM
RE: Ray49 VHF
Hello Grandsport29,
It could be an antenna issue, but the only way to tell would be to connect a known good antenna and give it a go.
Otherwise, I'd pull the radio and send it into Raymarine’s Product Repair Center for evaluation.
12-08-16, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-16 11:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Does the NMEA cable need to be connected to my new C127 and if so how and where does it connect.
12-12-16, 11:11 AM
Grandsport29,

DSC VHF radios must be interfaced to a source of GPS data in order to include your vessel's coordinates within DSC transmissions (connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 OUT+ lead to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead; additionally connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 OUT- lead to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN- lead). It is not necessary to interface a DSC VHF radio to a source of GPS data to receiver VHF and Weather transmissions. While I suspect that the problem reported is indicative of a failure within the Ray49's receiver circuitry, the problem may be fault isolated by unplugging the MFD's power cable ... should the problem persist, then the Ray49 VHF Radio should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. However, should the problem abate when the MFD's power cable is unplugged, then it would indicate that the MFD is emitting RF energy which is interfering with the VHF radio. It is generally recommend that VHF communications equipment not be installed within 3' of marine electronics. That said, it is sometimes necessary to do so. Often RF emissions may be squelched by installing up to six RF chokes on the emitting product's power cable (as close as is permissible to the product's plug). Should application of RF chokes not correct the problem of a Raymarine product emitting stray RF energy, then the Raymarine product may be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.