Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
e7 & E120W communication and more...
12-15-16, 08:52 PM
e7 & E120W communication and more...
I just bought a boat with

e7

E120W

Raymarine AIS (can't figure out model, but have a AIS350/AIS650 manual)

RS130 antenna

P70 autopilot controller

various old depth, speed, and displays

Problems:

* AIS works fine on the E120W, but nothing on the e7

* the E120W seems to be using the internal antenna on the e7. When it's not, no GPS fix

* E120W has all the charts I need, but the e7 doesn't. Can the e7 display the E120W charts or do I have to buy charts for both units

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-16, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-16 09:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: e7 & E120W communication and more...
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kalakai,

While the a/c/e-Series MFDs and E-Series Widescreen MFDs or G-Series GPM400s were able to share GPS data, instrument data, waypoint/route data, alarms, and system state data, radar imagery, 50/200kHz fishfinder imagery, and SiriusXM Marine Weather/Radio resources, the a/c/e-Series MFDs were not designed to support sharing of cartography with E-Series Widescreen MFDs or G-Series GPM400s. As communications between a/c/e-Series MFDs and E-Series Widescreen MFDs or G-Series GPM400s was somewhat limited and doing so would also limit the features supported by the a/c/e-Series MFD, it was generally not recommended that a/c/e-Series MFDs be interfaced to E-Series Widescreen MFDs or G-Series GPM400s.

We're going to need some additional information to address the GPS and AIS issues reported:

1) How has the AIS350/650 been interfaced to the system (i.e. was SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol used?

2) What version of software is installed within the e7 MFD?

3) Have the e7 MFD and E120W MFD been interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications protocol?

4) Which of these MFDs has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?

5) Which of the MFDs has been configured as a Data Master MFD (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?
01-06-17, 02:26 PM
[quote='Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator' pid='7685' dateline='1481899737'

1) How has the AIS350/650 been interfaced to the system (i.e. was SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol used?

How do I determine this?

2) What version of software is installed within the e7 MFD?

14, I just updated it

3) Have the e7 MFD and E120W MFD been interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications protocol?

No

4) Which of these MFDs has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?

How do I determine this?

5) Which of the MFDs has been configured as a Data Master MFD (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?

How do I determine this?

[/quote]

I downloaded charts for the E120W, so that's no longer an issue.
I got the units to use the external antenna instead of the e7 internalone

I do have the issues below:

* Dont' AIS vessels/info on the e7
* Can't control the autopilot (turn on or off) from the e7
* 'heading' isn't always available on the e7

They're communicating to some extent since waypoint info, depth, and a few other items are showing on both units.

Would it be better to figure out how I have it installed or to get info on the best way to set it up based on the equipment I have?
01-06-17, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-17 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
kalakai,

General Comments: Should you not desire or not have the skills required to determine how the equipment within your vessel's system has been interfaced together using the information provided within this response, then it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted to map out your system and address the reported issues.

Should the MFDs both be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet Network, then the highest level of software which may be installed within the e7 MFD would be v6.27 as indicated within the software history table found on the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD Software Update web page. In order for these MFDs to have shared radar, fishinder, and Sirius Satellite Weather resources, these MFDs must be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet Network. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to determine the version of software within your Raymarine products. Determining whether the MFDs have been interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network would require that the SeaTalkhs port of the E120 and Network port of the e7 MFD be examined to determine whether a cable had been connected to these ports and then tracing the cable to determine where it terminates. Accordingly should these MFDs be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet Nework, then the e7 MFD's software would need to be downgraded. Downgrading the MFD's software would also limit the features supported by the e7 MFD to those available within the v6.27 software.

Should you be unfamiliar with the layout of each MFD's communications ports, this information may be found within the installation guides for these products.

Q1) How has the AIS350/650 been interfaced to the system (i.e. was SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol used?
How do I determine this?
A1) You will need to examine the AIS350/650's Power/NMEA 0183 cable and SeaTalk ports, and then determine determine whether
- whether the NMEA 0183 leads of the AIS350/650's Power/NMEA 0183 cable have been interfaced to the NMEA 0183 leads of the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable of the e7 MFD and/or E120W MFD
- whether an SeaTalkng Spur Cable has been interfaced to the AIS350/650's NMEA 0183 port

Q2) What version of software is installed within the e7 MFD? ... 14, I just updated it.
A2) per the response to Q1, should these MFDs be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network, then the e7 MFD's software will need to be downgraded to v6.27.

Q3) Have the e7 MFD and E120W MFD been interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications protocol?
No
A3) How has this been determined ... see the general comments above. Are there any cable's connected to the SeaTalkhs or Network port of these MFDs?

Q4) Which of these MFDs has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?
How do I determine this?
A4) The SeaTalkng socket of these MFDs will need to be inspected to determine which, if not both, of the MFDs has a SeaTalkng spur cable connected to it and then trace the cable to determine whether it has been connected to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q5) Which of the MFDs has been configured as a Data Master MFD (i.e. the e7D MFD only, the E120W MFD only, or both)?
How do I determine this?
A5) E120W: MENU->SYSTEM SETUP->SYSTEM INTEGRATION->DATA MASTER
e7: HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DATA MASTER

Q6) I downloaded charts for the E120W, so that's no longer an issue.
I got the units to use the external antenna instead of the e7 internalone
A6) It is recommended that you verify that the e7 MFD's internal GPS has been configured OFF, as the E-Series Widescreen MFDs did not support sources of the same type of data (ex. GPS, wind, depth, speed etc.)

Before addressing the items which you have listed below, it will be necessary to address the items listed above. I will additionally need to know the model of autopilot course computer which has been installed onboard ... the p70 is an autopilot control head:

Q8) Dont' AIS vessels/info on the e7
Q9) Can't control the autopilot (turn on or off) from the e7
Q10) 'heading' isn't always available on the e7

Q11) Would it be better to figure out how I have it installed or to get info on the best way to set it up based on the equipment I have?
A11) You should start by first determining the complete list of equipment and determining how the system's components have been interfaced to one another.