Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E125 Auto Pilot Controls do not work after upgrade to 15.59
02-24-16, 06:00 PM
E125 Auto Pilot Controls do not work after upgrade to 15.59
Transferring this discussion from the old forum site to this new site.

I have upgraded my E125 from 12.26 to 15.61 and the auto pilot controls stopped working.

After working with Raymarine on the old ning site, we concluded that it may make sense to load an older version of Lighthouse and/or the older version of the SeaTalk converter. Where we left off before the transition to the new forum was Raymarine was going to provide a link for an older version of the software so we can continue to troubleshoot - details are in the link below.

Can I get the links to download the older version to see if that helps resolve the problem?

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/e..._com_forum
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-16, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-16 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: E125 Auto Pilot Controls do not work after upgrade to 15.59
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum LWhitty,

After failing to be able to duplicate the problem (i.e. it functioned correctly) our US Product Support office, our UK Product Support tested the system (ST-STng Converter (v2.01), e97 MFD (v15.61), S3 (v4.19) in their facility as well and were similarly unable to reproduce the reported problem. Video fo the test may be viewed here.

It is recommended that your MFD's waypoints, routes, and tracks be backed up, that the MFD be updated with v15.61 or later a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software, that a System Settings & Data Reset be performed, and that the MFD's configuration settings then be manually reconfigured ... be certain to configure the Autopilot Controls to ON. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it is recommended that the S3 be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to have its software updated to v4.19 ... the latest and final version tested by our UK Product Support Team.

The diagram below describes the system configured to perform testing within the UK. Should your system configuration differ, then please respond accordingly:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-26-16, 11:39 AM
Thanks Chuck. I miss typed the Subject at the post and should have referenced that I upgraded from 12.26 to 15.61 (not 15.59). Given I am on 15.61 and have gone through the additional steps you outlined already, upgrading the S3 software is probably then next step.

Currently, my ST6002 is set to version 5.00 and the S3 version is 416. I saw on the video you provided that the control head is set to v4.06 and S3 417. Shall I send in the control head as well?
02-26-16, 01:35 PM
It is recommended that the autopilot course computer alone be sent in to be updated.
03-16-16, 09:03 PM
I sent the S3 to Raymarine Repair and they upgraded the software to the latest version. The upgrade and bench test was reported as successful. I re-installed the S3 today and the behavior on the auto pilot controls on the E125 remain the same and are not working.

Again, upon initial installation of the E125 with the older version of Lighthouse, the auto pilot controls on the E125 worked as expected. Only after the update to 15.61 did they stop working (elapse time was about 2 days between original E125 install then the upgrade from 12.26 to 12.61).

What is the next suggestion in this troubleshooting process? The way my electronics are configured, I really need these auto pilot controls to work from the E125.
03-17-16, 10:07 AM
Larry,

As we and the UK team have been unable to duplicate the problem within our systems, it is possible that there may be some other stimulus responsible for causing the reported issue. In case we have missed a possible installation issue, please attach a system diagram to this discussion detailing how your entire system devices has been interfaced to one another. This diagram should included each type of communications interface (SeaTalk, SeaTalkng, NMEA 0183) and all third party products, computers, etc. which have been interfaced to the system. Power circuits need not be included within the diagram. Please additionally verify that the blue terminations plugs have been inserted within the SeaTalkng backbone's two blue backbone sockets.
03-17-16, 02:35 PM
Thanks Chuck. I assume you need further detail than what is listed in the diagram already in this thread. Only components not in the diagram is the old AIS 250 and a VHF with NMEA connections.

Verified both blue plugs are in the converter and ST is being powered through the converter.

Is it possible to get a link to LH 12.26 to revert back to that and see if it works again as a troubleshooting step? I believe the upgrade also upgraded the converter software - not sure if we can downgrade that or not.
03-17-16, 03:19 PM
Larry,

It is quite possible that looped data from a NMEA 0183 source may be responsible for the reported problem ... hence the request for the system diagram. Accordingly, should you not be able readily supply the requested system diagram, then it is recommended that you test the system again after temporarily:
1) disconnecting from power / switching the ASI250 OFF
2) switching the VHF radio OFF
3) disconnecting any wire which have been connected to the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 output ports.
4) switching OFF / disconnecting any other NMEA 0183 devices connected to the system
5) disconnecting any computers from the system
03-22-16, 04:58 PM
Chuck -

Performed the following troubleshooting events to rule out items you listed, nothing changed and still the pilot controls on the E125 are not enabling or disabling the autopilot:
1) Disconnected the raystar (just using internal GPS on E125)
2) Completely disconnected the NMEA in/out from E125 by disconnecting NMEA wires into the E125
3) Completely reset the E125

With all of these steps, the behaviour of the pilot controls remains the same and not working. Communications with the autopilot remain as the rudder, heading and pilot status is shown on the E125.

So, what are my options at this point? Since the E125 is still under warranty, do I now send this back? Or, could I get the 12.26 software and the earlier software of the converter and try to restore to the working state as another troubleshooting options?

I have traced all wires for SeaTalk, SeaTalkHS and SeaTalkNG so the attached diagram is 100% accurate (although all NMEA is currently disconnected due to troubleshooting step 2 above).

Thanks

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Seatalk Wiring.pdf (Size: 99.96 KB / Downloads: 432)
04-14-16, 03:11 PM
Chuck -

I left a number through PM as requested, would like to discuss this issue.

As an update, I was able to acquire another SeaTalk converter with 1.21 software and have installed it. The pilot controls are now working as they did prior to the LH & converter software upgrade.

Couple of questions:
1) Will running latest version of LH and older version of SeaTalk converter software create any other issues I should be aware of? Also, will future LH upgrades attempt to update the converter as well?
2) I can make the upgraded converter available to Raymarine to investigate further if this will help in a longer-term resolution.

Thanks - Larry