Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C80 classic to EV100 wheel to T122 to Link 8
12-19-16, 11:55 AM
C80 classic to EV100 wheel to T122 to Link 8
I have a C80 classic with a Raystar 125 GPS connected to the Seatalk1 port. The C80 has the latest software updates.

I'm guessing I can use a A06048 Seatalk NG to Seatalk2 Adapter Cable to go from the autopilot SeatalkNG backbone to the Seatalk2 port on the C80 MFD.

I'm also hoping to use a A06045 SeaTalk NG to NMEA 2000 Female Adapter Cable to go from the autopilot SeatalkNG backbone to the Lowrance Link8 VHF/DSC/AIS.

And lastly, using a R08004 NMEA Input Output Pigtail Cable to go from
the C80 to the T122, part of the T104 Wireless Speed, Depth and Wind NMEA System. If the R08004 cable is correct, which color wire goes to each wire terminal on the T122.

Do I need to change settings in the C80?

Thanks for reviewing my work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-16, 02:10 PM
RE: C80 classic to EV100 wheel to T122 to Link 8
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mzorn,

Q1. I'm guessing I can use a A06048 Seatalk NG to Seatalk2 Adapter Cable to go from the autopilot SeatalkNG backbone to the Seatalk2 port on the C80 MFD.
A1. It is not possible to do as you have suggested. A SeaTalkng backbone will need to be constructed to support interfacing the Evolution autopilot ACU, Control Head, and EV-1 Sensor Core. An E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will need to be purchased and installed as component within the backbone. The SeaTalk bus which presently includes the C80 and Raystar 125 GPS Sensor will need to be unplugged from the MFD's SeaTalk socket, disconnected from its present power source, connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block, and then the SeaTalk Adapter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be used to interface the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. Finally, a SeaTalk cable of sufficient length to mate the MFD's SeaTalk socket to the D244 SeaTalk Junction block will be obtained. This cable will be cut and then its yellow and shield leads will be spliced back together. This Cable's red leads will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q2. I'm also hoping to use a A06045 SeaTalk NG to NMEA 2000 Female Adapter Cable to go from the autopilot SeatalkNG backbone to the Lowrance Link8 VHF/DSC/AIS.
A2. Should the Lowrance Link8 VHF/DSC/AIS feature a DeviceNet Micro-C male socket or cable having a male socket, then the A06045 SeaTalk NG to NMEA 2000 Female Adapter Cable may be used for this purpose should you only desire to supply the Lowrance Link8 VHF/DSC/AIS with GPS data. However, As the software of the C-Series Classic MFDs was not designed to process NMEA 2000 PGNs containing AIS data, you may want to instead consider interfacing these products to one another via their respected NMEA 0183 communications interfaces.

Q3. And lastly, using a R08004 NMEA Input Output Pigtail Cable to go from
the C80 to the T122, part of the T104 Wireless Speed, Depth and Wind NMEA System. If the R08004 cable is correct, which color wire goes to each wire terminal on the T122.
A3. Depending upon whether you intend to use the MFD's AIS features (see the response to Q2) and whether you desire to have the Tacktick system using any data (ex. GPS) from the MFD, you may need to install a programmable NMEA 0183 multiplexer (ex. Actisense NDC-4) between the MFD and the NMEA 0183 talkers to multiplex the data from the Tacktick with the AIS data before sending the combined signal to the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port (white and green leads of the R08004 NMEA Cable).

Q4. Do I need to change settings in the C80?
A4. Should the MFD's AIS features be used, then it's NMEA 0183 port would need to be configured to "AIS 38400"
12-20-16, 06:12 PM
Hello and thanks for the quick response.
Your answer A1:
As you have stated, I have a SeaTalkng backbone on the Evolution autopilot ACU, Control Head, and EV-1 Sensor Core. I wanted to utilize the A06048 cable because the pinouts on the Seatalk 2 matched the pinouts on the Seatalkng spur cable. (See attached from Raymarine website).

I found this elsewhere on the internet -

Seatalk 2 whilst is not plug compatible with NMEA2000 or SeatalkNG, adapter cables are available. Raymarine A06048 is the part number for seatalk ng to seatalk2 adapter cable. Any data available on the SeaTalk2 network will then be available on the SeaTalk NG network. Only one connection is needed per network. This adapter enables an existing instrument network, using the SeaTalk2 5-pin connectors, to interface with a SeaTalk NG network.*Note that this cable cannot be used to connect a SeatalkNG network to the Seatalk2 port on the back of a Raymarine E-Series display. Use cable A06061 for that purpose.

Could you give a brief explanation on why this will not work? Does the seatalk2 port on the C80 not perform input/output?

Your answer A2, A3,and A4: Looks like I will be purchasing a multiplexer, sending a single stream of data to the C80. If I configure the C80 NMEA 183 port to "AIS 38400", Does that change both the input and output speed?
12-21-16, 09:07 AM
mzorn,

Q1: Could you give a brief explanation on why this will not work? Does the seatalk2 port on the C80 not perform input/output?

A1. While the software of C-Series Classic MFDs was intended to support SeaTalk2 communications and provide limited support for NMEA 2000 device integration (primarily for engine interfacing), the software to these MFDs was not designed to support the SeaTalkng communications protocol. Accordingly, its SeaTalk2 port cannot be used to interface the MFD to a SeaTalkng backbone. Per my initial response, communications between a C-Series Classic MFD and a SeaTalkng backbone must occur via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2: If I configure the C80 NMEA 183 port to "AIS 38400", Does that change both the input and output speed?
A2: Yes. When configured to "AIS 38400", both the MFD's NMEA 0183 input and output ports will operate at 38400 BAUD.
12-21-16, 10:44 AM
Thank you again.
12-21-16, 11:26 AM
You're welcome.