Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course Computers and Smart Heading System
05-31-16, 03:34 PM
RE: Course Computers and Smart Heading System
Hi,

I have another question about the Gyro Plus / SHS. I have determined that the SeaTalk portion of my RS125 isn't working. I have since connected it via NMEA so I get GPS lock. As a result my SHS is disconnected. Can the SHS be connected via SeaTalk with the RS125 connected via NMEA? If so can you provide the wiring diagram for that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-16, 09:31 AM
Paul,

It is not possible to do as you have suggested. Should you need to interface the MFD to more than one NMEA 0183 Talker, then a NMEA 0183 Multiplexer (ex. Raymarine E55059 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 Multiplexer) would be required.
06-01-16, 12:23 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the quick response. I think I may not have been clear in my question. I wasn't asking if I could also connect the SHS via NMEA. The SHS and RS125 were connected via SeaTalk. The RS125 SeaTalk isn't working so I have connected it via NMEA. The result though is the SHS is now disconnected. What I am asking is can I reconnect the SHS via SeaTalk while having the RS125 connected via NMEA? I'm not seeing in the SHS/RS125 SeaTalk wiring schematic how to remove the RS125 while leaving the SHS still connected via SeaTalk.
06-01-16, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-16 02:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. What I am asking is can I reconnect the SHS via SeaTalk while having the RS125 connected via NMEA? I'm not seeing in the SHS/RS125 SeaTalk wiring schematic how to remove the RS125 while leaving the SHS still connected via SeaTalk.
A1. The SHS is designed to be interfaced to the system via both SeaTalk and NMEA 0183 communications simultaneously. The SeaTalk communications interface is utilized to permit the MFD to command linearization and alignment of the SHS. The NMEA 0183 interface is responsible to transmitting 10Hz heading data to the system to maximize performance of its heading dependent features. Without the NMEA 0183 interface to the system, the system would only receive heading updates at 1Hz. Should the NMEA 0183 interface of the other MFD not presently be in use, then it may be used to accommodate reception of 10Hz heading data from the SHS. Otherwise, a NMEA 0183 Multiplexer will be required per the prior response or you will need to replace the RS125 GPS Sensor having the failed SeaTalk port.

The SeaTalk leads of Data Master E-Series MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable should be interfaced the SeaTalk port SHS, assuming there are no other SeaTalk devices within the system. Otherwise, the yellow and black leads of the Data Master E-Series MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable should be interfaced to the SeaTalk Data (yellow) and SeaTalk ground (shield) leads of a SeaTalk Cable which in turn has been interfaced to the SeaTalk bus to which all other devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface have been networked to.
06-01-16, 02:15 PM
Ok, got it. It sounds like I need to quit procrastinating and get a replacement GPS antenna so I can get it all connected correctly.

Thanks for the additional information.
06-01-16, 02:39 PM
You're welcome.
11-04-16, 07:34 PM
I'm in the process of incorporating the Gyro Plus 2 SHS into my MFD-DCS-GPS config and am hoping you can confirm if the attached wiring scheme is correct.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-09-16, 05:04 PM
Paul,

Your diagram appears correct. Should you not have already purchased a SHS, then it would be recommended that an EV-1 Sensor Core be considered, as parts and service are no longer available for the SHS.
11-09-16, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-16 08:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. I have the SHS I just never got around to connecting it. I was doing it the other day but can't get GPS lock hence my checking to see if the wiring diagram was correct or not.
11-10-16, 08:32 AM
You're welcome.