Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S1 smart pilot -> NMEA 2000 question
02-27-16, 10:42 AM
S1 smart pilot -> NMEA 2000 question
Hi, I am working on upgrading my Seatalk1 network to STng and have a question about NMEA 2000 compatibility.

Diagram attached with a proposed network. The potential issue I see is with the smart pilot (S1 + ST6001) integration on an STng backbone when there are NMEA 2000 devices on the STng backbone. The Raymarine guide says:
“Limitations when SeaTalk(1) products are connected. If SeaTalkng and SeaTalk(1) products are used together, do NOT connect an NMEA2000 backbone, as this product combination could compromise the integrity of the NMEA2000 system.”
I think what this means is if you have an NMEA2000 backbone (not an STng backbone as depicted) you can’t add ST1->STng devices. But maybe i am reading the incorrectly. Can you please provide feedback/direction on how to set up the STng backbone?
Thanks, Chris

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-16, 04:31 PM
RE: S1 smart pilot -> NMEA 2000 question
The diagram is close to correct. The only change is the Seatalk course computer is providing power on the Seatalk port. To connect to the converter you would need to leave the Red wire of Seatalk off the connection and just connect the Yellow and Shield (Black). Then provide 12 VDC directly to one of the ports on the backbone, preferably in the center of the length.
03-01-16, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks very much Steve. Very helpful.
03-02-16, 10:15 AM
Anytime. Let us know if you have any further questions.