Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St60+ no wind speed or directional display
01-23-17, 11:04 AM
St60+ no wind speed or directional display
Hi I have a st60+ wind with a masthead transducer and I have no speed data or direction. Dials do move in boat show mode. Voltages at display are
Red to shield 8.02
Blue to shield 7.31
Green 7.31
Yellow 8.04.
There is power to the display, I have three dashes in the speed area. I can not calibrate or place the display in master mode. It is stuck in repeater.
I have done factory reset a number of times.
I thought there was a hard reset that could be done but I forgot the key sequence.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-17, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-17 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: St60+ no wind speed or directional display
Mark,

See my comments below regarding the transducer test measurements which you have performed:

- Red to shield 8.02 ... normal
- Blue to shield 7.31 ... high indicative of no ground reference
- Green 7.31 ... high indicative of no ground reference
- Yellow 8.04 ... high indicative of no ground reference

Should the wind transducer's ground lead (black/bare lead) be connected to the wind transducer ground terminal (grey) and the problem persists, then it may indicate a problem with the wind instrument not providing a ground reference via its wind transducer ground terminal. Such failures may sometimes be worked around simply creating a jumper lead and then using it to create a jumper between the SeaTalk ground terminal of the wind instrument and the wind transducer's ground lead. Please note that Raymarine can no longer service ST60/ST60+ instruments. Should the instrument need to be replaced, then it may be replaced with a i60 Wind Instrument.
01-23-17, 06:52 PM
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the help and sorry if this is duplicate, I'm having trouble navigating this forum.

Where is the ground terminal on the wind transducer. Is it a screw on the installation pad/puck. Are there wiring connectors under the puck or is the wire hard wired to the puck/pad. Following your train of thought there could be a bad/corroded connection on the screw in portion of the transducer as well. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Mark
01-24-17, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-17 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mark,

While less likely, it is indeed possible for corrosion of the masthead transducer's pins or mounting block may be responsible for preventing a ground reference. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the pinout for the masthead transducer and mounting block. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the pinout for a SeaTalk socket. The wind instrument transducer display's transducer ground terminal features gray marking.
01-24-17, 04:20 PM
Hi Chuck and thanks for the information. To confirm you suggest trying a jumper wire on the instrument from sea talk ground to transducer ground. Is that correct? Thanks for confirming and I understand no guarantees,
Mark
01-24-17, 04:51 PM
Mark,

Q) To confirm you suggest trying a jumper wire on the instrument from sea talk ground to transducer ground. Is that correct?
A) Yes.
01-25-17, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-17 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
I made the jumper, installed, and tested with no improvement.
01-25-17, 05:15 PM
Mark,

Unfortunately, as the jumper did not resolve the problem, then the fault may be rooted in the wind instrument or the transducer. As Raymarine can no longer service ST60+ instruments, you may want to consider sending the wind transducer to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Should the transducer be found to be operational, then the ST60+ Wind may be replaced with an i60 Wind or with the combination of an i70 MFID and iTC-5 Analog Instrument Transducer Converter.