Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter setup
02-01-17, 03:55 PM
SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter setup
I have today four ST60 instruments, one ST6002+ controller and one S1G course computer on the old ST1 system connected to the Stng converter together with an MFD e7.
I know you should only have five sea talk devices to each Stng converter, this setup is working per now, maybe the ST6002+ and the course computer are considered as one device?

I believe the five devices only complies for older Seatalk devices and by then I could install a AIS650 in to my stng converter without having to install a second stng converter in the system?

I have not powered the Stng converter as I have power in to my S1G course computer, is this the correct way to do it for my system?
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-17, 10:42 AM
RE: SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter setup
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Peter,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface products having a SeaTalk communications interface to a SeaTalkng backbone. Interfacing a SeaTalk bus featuring more than five SeaTalk devices to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter can result in too much power being passed through the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, potentially resulting in failure of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Accordingly, it is recommended that your present SeaTalk bus be divided as specified within the referenced FAQ and that a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be added to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q2. (Are) the ST6002+ and the course computer are considered as one device?
A2. No.

Q3. I have not powered the Stng converter as I have power in to my S1G course computer, is this the correct way to do it for my system?
A3. As indicated, the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from its present source of power ... this may be the red terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port ... should the red lead of a SeaTalk cable be connected to the red terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port, then it will need to be disconnected from the terminal and then insulated to prevent shorting. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Backbone will power the SeaTalk busses via the SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters. A single SeaTalkng Power Cable will be used to power the SeaTalkng backbone. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will be connected to a spur socket located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

Q4. The spur cables which will be used to connect the AIS650 and e7 MFD to the backbone may be connected to any available spur socket within the backbone. Raymarine offers SeaTalkng Spur Cables having lengths up to 6m for such purposes. The AIS650 must be powered via its supplied Power/NMEA 0183/Silent Mode Cable.
Find all posts by this user
02-02-17, 04:02 PM
Thanks.
I just wonder have I shall connect the second stng converter to be able to split up the seatalk devices, today all the seatalk 1 devices are connected together and the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter cable is connected from one of the ST60 instruments to the converter,
and from the MFD e7 I have a spur cable connected to the spur port of a SeaTalkng T-piece. I have removed one of the blue SeaTalkng Termination plugs from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and connected this plug to one of the end blue backbone ports of the SeaTalkng T-piece, and
connected a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable from the unoccupied blue SeaTalkng backbone port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the unoccupied blue backbone port of the SeaTalkng T-Piece.

Also on the attached diagram it is more than five Seatalk devices connected to one stng converter..?
02-02-17, 04:26 PM
Can I send you a drawing how my instruments and stngconverter etc is wired up today?
02-03-17, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-17 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Petr,

Q: Also on the attached diagram it is more than five Seatalk devices connected to one stng converter..?
A: Incorrect. The diagram which you have referenced features a SeaTalk bus having three devices (ST6002+ Instrument, ST6002+ AP Control Head, and SmartController wireless base station) directly interfaced to its SeaTalk port. The other devices shown are SeaTalkng devices which are powered via the SeaTalkng backbone (not the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's SeaTalk port) which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is part of.

Yes. Attach your system diagram to a post to this thread.
02-03-17, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-17 04:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
See attached sketch on my system as today.
If I need to install a second STng converter were do you recommend to install this?
I have now powered the network only through the STng converter and disconnected the power on the SeaTalk (red) out from the course computer S1G.
02-03-17, 04:42 PM
Peter,

As indicated within my earlier responses, it is recommended that a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be installed. In this case, you may want to consider adding it to the left of the one shown within your drawing. The ST6002 may then be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and would instead be connected to the SeaTalk socket of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters would be joined to one another using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The SeaTalkng Termination Plug would need to be shifted to the backbone socket of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. No additional SeaTalkng Power Cable should be installed.
02-03-17, 05:52 PM
Chuck,
Is it possible to instead connect the second STng converter to the unoccupied port in the 3-way ST block? or to any of the Speed, Depht or Wind instruments?
It will then be much shorter cable routing to connect the two two STng converters together..
02-03-17, 06:04 PM
If I disconnect the cable between the 3-way ST block to the ST6002 and instead connect the ST (yellow) cable from the second STng converter direct to the SeaTalk connection ob the ST6002, and then connect the two STng converters together with a Backbone cable.
I believe I then could remove the complete 3-way ST bock?
Is this correct understood?
02-06-17, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-17 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Pter,

Q1. Is it possible to instead connect the second STng converter to the unoccupied port in the 3-way ST block? or to any of the Speed, Depht or Wind instruments?
A1. Yes.

Q2. If I disconnect the cable between the 3-way ST block to the ST6002 and instead connect the ST (yellow) cable from the second STng converter direct to the SeaTalk connection ob the ST6002, and then connect the two STng converters together with a Backbone cable.
I believe I then could remove the complete 3-way ST bock?
Is this correct understood?
A2. This option is equally correct.