Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter setup
02-06-17, 04:20 PM
RE: SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter setup
Thanks chuck.
If I decide to connect the second Stng converter with the yellow ST cable to my ST60 Wind instrument I believe I have to disconnect the ST cable between the ST60 Wind and the ST60 Depht instrument to separate the buses?
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-17, 04:54 PM
Petr,

I suggest that you re-submit a revised drawing to address what you are suggesting. Again, you need simply restrict each SeaTalk bus to no more than five devices ... in this case, two SeaTalk busses (not connected to one another) would need to be created The decision concerning which devices to include within each SeaTalk bus is entirely up to you and are typically determined based on proximity of the devices to one another. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters will be joined to one another or to a SeaTalkng T-Piece via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.
Find all posts by this user
02-07-17, 03:53 PM
Chuck,
See attached Option no.1.
Will it be possible to use the existing STng T-piece from the MFD to connect second STng converter (2) to? Or do I have to install a second T-piece to join the two STng converters together? I know I also could run a backbone cable between the two STng converters but it will be much easier if I could connect it to the T-piece from the MFD.
Also see the proposed connection for the AIS650.
02-07-17, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-17 04:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Petr,

It is indeed possible to connect the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the T-Piece that is presently linking the MFD to the backbone ... simply remove the blue Termination Plug from the T-Piece, insert it into one of the blue backbone sockets of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, and then join the unoccupied blue backbone socket of the T-Piece to the remaining blue backbone socket of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via an appropriate length of SeaTalk to SeaTalkng backbone cable. Also, swap the SeaTalkng Power Cable's position within the first SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the spur socket which is presently linking the AIS650 to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The AIS650's spur cable may then be plugged into the socket which had been previously occupied by the SeaTalkng Power Cable. Doing so will more closely permit the backbone's power insertion point to be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
02-08-17, 02:02 AM
Thanks.
If I choose to power the system through the second STng converter instead, what port should then be the best to use, spur-port closest to the T-piece?
02-08-17, 09:28 AM
Petr,

It is not recommended that the SeaTalkng backbone be powered via the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter as you have suggested, as it would put a disproportionate amount of the backbone's LEN load on one side of the power insertion spur socket. Again, the goal in powering a SeaTalkng backbone is that its power insertion point be located at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. You can also learn more about SeaTalkng networking within the SeaTalkng Reference Manual.