Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution Linearization Unsuccessfull
02-29-16, 09:47 AM
Evolution Linearization Unsuccessfull
I have been unable to linearize my EV1 course computer (deviation value of ---) even after a slight relocation of the unit to a different location. I am running ver 1.11 software with an ACU 400 actuator. The unit is located appropriate distances from batteries, electrical lines, etc. My previous RM autopilot was located in the same position with no problems.

Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-16, 11:15 AM
RE: Evolution Linearization Unsuccessfull
What procedure are you doing to linearize? I recommend following the below information.

The new Evolution autopilot system does not have a specific Seatrial calibration, you are to do the Dockside Wizard, then take the boat out for a 15-20 minute cruise, doing a few circles and figure 8's to show the system all the points on the compass rose, keeping the speed between 3-15 knots. While out on the water, press Menu>Setup>Diagnostics>About Pilot, scroll to the very bottom of the page to look at the Deviation. If it is within 15 degrees, you are done. Restart compass is used to drop the Deviation in the system and have the heading sensor start over calibrating the Deviation, shouldn't be used unless you are relocating the EV-1 heading sensor. Compass Lock, is to lock the heading sensor to the current Deviation in the unit, I would recommend that you lock the compass once you have the autopilot functioning the way you want it, usually after a couple of trips where you use the autopilot and it is functioning properly, because the heading sensor is always learning, trying to get a better deviation on the heading and learning the movement of the vessel for better course correction. Once you Lock Compass it stops the learning process and holds the settings that it has for the vessel.
02-29-16, 12:09 PM
I have followed the procedure that you recommended several times in the past yet the compass still does not linearize (--- deviation). Is there a way to test the EV1 to insure it is not a failed unit? When the unit was installed (by certified Raymarine technician), the spur cable was rather long and is coiled near the ACU400. Could this be causing a problem? Would the software update possibly help? Thanks.
03-01-16, 04:38 PM
There is a LED arrow on the top of the EV-1, is that pointed to the bow, and what is that blinking?

The length of spur shouldn't cause the issue like this.

When you press MENU>SETUP>DIAGNOSTICS>ABOUT SYSTEM, are you seeing the EV-1 in the list? What software level is it at?
03-02-16, 07:39 PM
(03-01-16 04:38 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  There is a LED arrow on the top of the EV-1, is that pointed to the bow, and what is that blinking?

The length of spur shouldn't cause the issue like this.

When you press MENU>SETUP>DIAGNOSTICS>ABOUT SYSTEM, are you seeing the EV-1 in the list? What software level is it at?

Yes, the LED is pointed toward the bow and is a steady green. Yes, EV-1 is in the list and is at software version 1.11.
03-03-16, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately if you are getting a green light, and the unit is pointed toward the bow. You have done the linearize cruise and getting (---) for deviation. It is pointing toward and issue with the EV-1 heading sensor. I would have to recommend that the unit be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair.

Raymarine Service Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:
Name
Daytime Phone
Return address
Brief description of the issue
03-03-16, 03:39 PM
Can someone at the Raymarine dealer in Cartegena Columbia address this issue? I am sailing there on my boat and should arrive Tuesday. I will be there for approximately two weeks and I suspect that will be insufficient time for repair turnaround going to NH.

Thanks,

(03-03-16 12:57 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Unfortunately if you are getting a green light, and the unit is pointed toward the bow. You have done the linearize cruise and getting (---) for deviation. It is pointing toward and issue with the EV-1 heading sensor. I would have to recommend that the unit be sent to the below address to be evaluated by a service technician for repair.

Raymarine Service Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03063

Include in the box:
Name
Daytime Phone
Return address
Brief description of the issue
03-04-16, 12:02 PM
You will have to contact them to determine. They will most likely have to take the unit off the boat and send to the Service Center for evaluation.
03-10-16, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-16 09:23 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(03-04-16 12:02 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  You will have to contact them to determine. They will most likely have to take the unit off the boat and send to the Service Center for evaluation.

I relocated the EV-1 yet again and this time the deviation came down to 3 degrees. Thanks for your help.
03-10-16, 09:22 AM
Good to hear you are up and running. Let us know if you have any further questions.