Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade.
02-03-17, 08:55 AM
Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade.
I'm also working on a SeaTalk 1 system upgrade. I'm installing a e125 MFD to replace my classic C-series. I'm planning on using my SPX-10 course computer to power a SeaTalkng network using SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter(s) to tie in devices on the existing SeaTalk1 network. Right now I have two questions.

1) The SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter installation manual states that a RS125 GPS antenna must have a dedicated SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter. No other devices can be on that SeaTalk1 spur. Is this still the case even with the converter's firmware/software fully updated?

2) I'll be connecting the SPX-10 to the MFD through the new SeaTalkNG network. Should I connect my ST6001 control head directly to the SPX-10 with a SeaTalk1 cable or should I connect the ST6001 to the SeaTalk1 spur that will be connected to the SeaTalkNG network via the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-17, 11:51 AM
RE: Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bradley,

Q1. I'm planning on using my SPX-10 course computer to power a SeaTalkng network using SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter(s) to tie in devices on the existing SeaTalk1 network.
A1. The SPX-10 has relatively limited power output to SeaTalkng and it is generally recommended that it not be used to power a backbone featuring more than a three devices. Instead, it is recommended that its power switch be configured to the OFF position and that the SeaTalkng backbone be powered from a 12VDC circuit ... it is so recommended for your system and considered a best practice for powering marine electronics.

Q2. The SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter installation manual states that a RS125 GPS antenna must have a dedicated SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter. No other devices can be on that SeaTalk1 spur. Is this still the case even with the converter's firmware/software fully updated?
A2. Unfortunately, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's manual hasn't been updated since the Converter was introduced. Should a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be updated with the latest software, it may be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus having up to five devices having a SeaTalk communications interface.

Q3. I'll be connecting the SPX-10 to the MFD through the new SeaTalkNG network. Should I connect my ST6001 control head directly to the SPX-10 with a SeaTalk1 cable or should I connect the ST6001 to the SeaTalk1 spur that will be connected to the SeaTalkNG network via the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter?
A3. The ST6001 AP Control Head along with the RS125 GPS Sensor should be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus that will be interfaced to SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SPX10 should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced to the system only via a spur cable which will be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone. The SPX10 software should be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update (performed via the e125 MFD).
02-05-17, 08:56 AM
Thanks! Great info.

The power cable to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter has both a black lead and a shield. Do both of these get connected to negative battery?
02-06-17, 10:23 AM
Bradley,

The black lead of the SeaTalkng power cable should be connected to battery ground. the bare lead is the cable's drain lead. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing what should be done with marine electronics drain leads.
02-08-17, 09:50 PM
Ok, I've got the system connected as we discussed. The e125 is seeing a GPS signal from the RS125 so the SeaTalk bus is being converted properly. The SPX-10 is connected through the SeaTalkNG backbone and I see it in the listing of devices on the e125, but the ST6001 is displaying NO PILOT. I have disconnected the SPX-10 from the SeaTalk bus as you suggested. The ST6001 is connected through the converter with the rest of the SeaTalk devices, but it doesn't seem to be seeing the SPX-10.
02-09-17, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-17 06:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bradley,

The reported issue may occur if the ST-STng Converter and/or SPX10 has old software installed within it ... it is recommended that you ensure that the MFD, ST-STng Converter, SPX10, and any other devices having a SeaTalkng communications have been updated with the latest product software updates. The reported issue may also occur if the SPX10's SeaTalkng power switch has not been configure to the OFF position or the ST6001 has been incorrectly interfaced to the system ... should the reported issue persist after having performed the specified software updates, then it would be recommended that communications diagram for your system be created (hand drawn will suffice) showing how you have interfaced the products to one another.
02-09-17, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-17 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I checked software:

e125 v17.46-00404
Converter 2.03
SPX10 v3.05

I believe that these are all current versions. The only update I had to install was for the SPX10 which was previously V3.00. I have confirmed that the SeaTalkNG power switch on the SPX10 is in the OFF position. LEDs on the unit are working. The SeaTalk 1 cable that previously connected the SPX10 and ST6001 has been disconnected at both ends. I have attached a network diagram. The MFD sees the SPX10 and I am able to control it using the autopilot control feature of the MFD. The "AUTO" and "STANDBY" buttons on the ST6001 actually seem to work, but the display still says NO PILOT and when the pilot is engaged the 1 and 10 buttons don't do anything. The RS125 GPS antenna is working and is recognized by the MFD so the SeaTalk 1 bus is functioning.
02-10-17, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-17 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bradley,

Your system diagram appears to indicated correctly interfaced equipment. It is recommended that:
- you verify that the X10's SeaTalkng power switch has been configured OFF to prevent a ground loop
- you verify that when Databoxes within the MFD has been configured to display the Heading (not COG) and Rudder data items, that the these items are indeed populated
- you verify that the autopilot control head display's Heading
- you verify that the MFD's Data Source's feature (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->DATA SOURCES) has been configured to specify that the RS125 be used as the system's GPS data source. Alternatively, the MFD's internal GPS may be configured OFF. After doing so, the system should be switched OFF and then ON again to verify that the system is receiving a GPS position FIX from the RS125.

Should the above listed items have been satisfied, then it is recommended that the ST6001 be temporarily disconnected from the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block and it should installed be tested by connecting it directly to the x10's SeaTalk port.
02-10-17, 06:13 PM
- you verify that the X10's SeaTalkng power switch has been configured OFF to prevent a ground loop
VERIFIED

- you verify that when Databoxes within the MFD has been configured to display the Heading (not COG) and Rudder data items, that the these items are indeed populated
HEADING AND RUDDER DATA ARE POPULATED

- you verify that the autopilot control head display's Heading
CONTROL HEAD SHOWS "NO PILOT". HEADING DATA IS NOT SHOWN

- you verify that the MFD's Data Source's feature (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->DATA SOURCES) has been configured to specify that the RS125 be used as the system's GPS data source. Alternatively, the MFD's internal GPS may be configured OFF. After doing so, the system should be switched OFF and then ON again to verify that the system is receiving a GPS position FIX from the RS125.
CONFIRMED THAT INTERNAL GPS IS OFF AND THAT MFD IS RECEIVING GPS DATA FROM THE RS125

Should the above listed items have been satisfied, then it is recommended that the ST6001 be temporarily disconnected from the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block and it should installed be tested by connecting it directly to the x10's SeaTalk port
RECONNECTED ST6001 TO CONTROL HEAD USING SEATALK CABLE. ALL CONTROL HEAD FUNCTIONS RETURNED. WORKS NORMALLY. HOWEVER, SMART CONTROLLER STILL DID NOT FUNCTION. CONNECTED SMART CONTROLLER DIRECTLY TO ST6001 SEATALK PORT INSTEAD OF CONVERTER AND SMART CONTROLLER NOW FUNCTIONS NORMALLY.

It appears that everything works normally if I connect the control head and Smart Controller directly to the SPX10 via SeaTalk cables.
02-13-17, 12:08 PM
Bradley,

As you have indicated that heading and rudder angle data items were being populated on the MFD, the autopilot course computer's SeaTalkng communications port would be deemed to be operational. The last test verified that the SeaTalk communications circuitry of the autopilot course computer and control head are operational. This bit of fault isolation in conjunction with you earlier statement that the autopilot course computer and ST-STng Converter had been updated with the latest software, it would appear to point to an issue with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Should the Smart Controller have functioned correctly when interfaced to the ST6001 when it was interfaced to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port, then it too would be considered to be operational. Accordingly, it is recommended that the ST-STng Converter be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.