Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old autopilot with new SeatalkNG instruments
02-13-17, 12:52 PM
Old autopilot with new SeatalkNG instruments
I recently purchased a i70s instrument kit to replace the 30 year old instruments on my boat. The boat also came with a ST5000+ autopilot, which I plan to keep. From my research, I’ve learned that I can connect the autopilot with the i70s via the Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter. However, it seems that this would require that there only be one power source for the whole Seatalk network, which would come through the autopilot (I think). Does this mean that if I set it up this way, there would be no way to turn on my instruments without also turning on the autopilot? Would it make the “instruments” breaker on my DC panel useless? Is there a way to set this up so that I could turn off the autopilot but keep the instruments on? Or vice versa?

Also, what if the autopilot fails? Would that mean I’d also lose my instruments?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-17, 02:13 PM
RE: Old autopilot with new SeatalkNG instruments
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Radiozephyr,

Q1. I’ve learned that I can connect the autopilot (ST5000+) with the i70s via the Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter.
A1. Correct

Q2. it seems that this would require that there only be one power source for the whole Seatalk network, which would come through the autopilot (I think).
A2. Incorrect. The SeaTalkng backbone will be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been interfaced to a a spur socket at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. The SeaTalk bus will be powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalkng Converter. While it is possible for most Raymarine autopilot course computers to supply power to a SeaTalk bus, it is not recommended that one do so when interfaced to SeaTalkng devices. Accordingly, the SeaTalk Cable which is connected to the ST5000+ should be cut and that only its Data (yellow) and SeaTalk ground (shield) leads be spliced back together. The cable's red lead should be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q3. Does this mean that if I set it up this way, there would be no way to turn on my instruments without also turning on the autopilot? Would it make the “instruments” breaker on my DC panel useless? Is there a way to set this up so that I could turn off the autopilot but keep the instruments on? Or vice versa?
A3. See the response to Q2. The SeaTalkng Power Cable should be connected to your "Instruments" breaker. The ST5000+ will continue to be powered via the "Autopilot" breaker. As the autopilot and instruments will be powered by different circuits, they may be operated independent of one another.
02-13-17, 02:57 PM
Fantastic, thanks for the info!

One other question I had: would I be able to connect a NMEA2000 AIS transponder, like the Vesper XB-8000, to this system by pugging it in with a A06045 cable? Or would the fact that I'm using Seatalk(1) on the network prevent this from working? I've read that if you have both Seatalk(1) and SeatalkNG being used together, you can't connect NMEA2000 devices. However, I don't think I understand what the issue is exactly.
02-13-17, 03:56 PM
Q. I've read that if you have both Seatalk(1) and SeatalkNG being used together, you can't connect NMEA2000 devices.
A. This is not correct. Should
- the i70s have been installed as spurs to a SeaTalkng backbone, and
- the i70s have no SeaTalk devices directly interfaced to their spur sockets, and
- the system featuring the i70s be interfaced to a source of GPS data, and
- an AIS receiver/transceiver be interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, and
- the vessel be underway and making way (COG or heading data required),

then the i70s may display AIS target data.