Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i60 wind reads 2x too slow
02-29-16, 02:07 PM
i60 wind reads 2x too slow
I just replaced my old ST60 wind, speed and depth instruments with i50/60. The new i60 display is attached to the original windvane transducer, commissioned 2004 (not rotavecta). The i60 now reads < 1/2 the actual true or apparent wind speed and calibration does not seem to help. It appears the anemometer is turning a bit more slowly than comps in the harbor but it is quite odd that the transducer would decide to fail at the exact time I replaces the display pack ( all displays working correctly including wind direction on the i60 wind instrument)
Any trouble shooting advice before I head up the mast?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-16, 01:55 PM
RE: i60 wind reads 2x too slow
I would suggest, test the masthead and make sure the masthead is working within the perimeters of the masthead test below. If so you will need to go up the masthead and find out why the masthead is spinning slow. Corrosion on the vane and cups connection?

Masthead Test:
To perform the check, you will need a multimeter, and a DC power supply. You will need to supply 8v to the masthead across the red and shield connections. Normally the ST50/ST60/i60 display head would be energized and provide this 8V, however in your case, you may need to power the mashead transducer seperately.

With the multimeter, check the following:

Set the multimeter to the 20V DC scale.

Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)

Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.

Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes as the vane turns.

Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.

Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read."
03-08-16, 11:58 AM
Thank you steve-- up we go

(03-03-16 01:55 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I would suggest, test the masthead and make sure the masthead is working within the perimeters of the masthead test below. If so you will need to go up the masthead and find out why the masthead is spinning slow. Corrosion on the vane and cups connection?

Masthead Test:
To perform the check, you will need a multimeter, and a DC power supply. You will need to supply 8v to the masthead across the red and shield connections. Normally the ST50/ST60/i60 display head would be energized and provide this 8V, however in your case, you may need to power the mashead transducer seperately.

Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)

Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.

Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes as the vane turns.

Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.

Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read."
03-09-16, 11:19 AM
Be safe. Let us know the outcome.
04-14-16, 05:53 PM
Looks like the masthead unit bearings are shot on my old ST60 masthead transducer (picture below) and slow rotation was giving me slow wind speed on my new i60 wind instrument. The transducer appears to be a standard forward wind vane transducer from 2003 for an ST60 (R28170 ?). Is the new short arm wind vane transducer (A28162/E22078) pin and plug mount compatible with the old ST60 masthead unit mount? Or do I have to find the older model. I'm hoping to be able to hoist up the mast and pop the new one on to the existing mount. Just to double check-- If I have to find the old masthead transducer is it compatible with my new i60 wind instrument? Thanks for the help

(03-08-16 11:58 AM)chyrne Wrote:  Thank you steve-- up we go

(03-03-16 01:55 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I would suggest, test the masthead and make sure the masthead is working within the perimeters of the masthead test below. If so you will need to go up the masthead and find out why the masthead is spinning slow. Corrosion on the vane and cups connection?

Masthead Test:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-15-16, 10:58 AM
Yes the current Bulbous masthead (R28170) is compatible with the old rectangle masthead base, you might need to press a little harder with the additional O-ring on the newer Masthead arm connector.
04-18-16, 05:35 PM
Thanks Steve-- I'll go get one

(04-15-16 10:58 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Yes the current Bulbous masthead (R28170) is compatible with the old rectangle masthead base, you might need to press a little harder with the additional O-ring on the newer Masthead arm connector.
04-19-16, 09:29 AM
Anytime, contact us with any future questions.