Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST4000 no longer working
02-20-17, 08:56 AM
ST4000 no longer working
I installed an S4000 in 2002-2003. It worked well until about 1.5 yrs ago. Then the control unit started to deviate from the compass bearing (30+ degrees). I attempted the recalibrate (the motoring in circles) 2 or 3 times. I then checked the fluxgate compass using the procedure from your site. It passed. Because of other boat priorities, I am just readdressing this issue now.

I assume that the control unit needs to be fixed or replaced. I have heard from the sailors that the ST4000 is no longer supported. Is that true?

If so, is the new system's control unit compatible with the other components I already have in place? Is there somewhere I can get a used or reworked ST4000 control unit?

If you are still servicing the ST4000, please send me the info on getting it repaired.

Thank you.

Peter Wendschuh
wendschuh1@aol.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-17, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-17 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ST4000 no longer working
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Peter,

It is recommended that you inspect the location of the fluxgate compass to ensure that no high current carrying conductors and no objects which feature motors, magnets, or have been constructed of ferrous materials have been stored / installed within 3' of the fluxgate compass. If so, then these items should be moved at least 3' from the fluxgate compass and the autopilot should be tested again. If not, then it may indicate that the fluxgate compass (in spite of the testing performed) or autopilot course computer (in this case the ST4000) has suffered a failure. Unfortunately, Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service ST4000/ST4000+/ST5000/ST5000+ autopilots. On a positive note, any compatible Raymarine actuator and rudder reference transducer which are presently installed onboard may instead be used with an Evolution autopilot. As a new Evolution autopilot is a sizable investment and given the age of your currently installed autopilot, you may want to consider testing your ST4000 with a new M81190 Fluxgate Compass (in sprite or your test results) before replacing the autopilot.
02-23-17, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-17 03:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the information. I will examine the lockers to be sure that nothing has been stowed in the vicinity of the compass which might affect its performance. The location of the compass on my boat is less than ideal (nearer the diesel than recommended), but it did perform adequately prior to this problem. I would like to test the unit with a new compass. I would mount it temporarily with tape to see if it fixes the problem. If that is not the answer, could it be returned?

Thank you.
02-23-17, 03:52 PM
Peter,

While the action to test the ST4000 with another transducer may justify the cost of purchasing a fluxgate transducer, purchasing a product/part for such fault isolation purposes with the expectation that the product/part may be returned to the dealer and the purchase price refunded would not be reasonable and should not be expected. Were the autopilot be one which Repair Center could still service, the typical recommendation would be to sent to autopilot to the Repair Center to be bench checked (i.e. the Repair Center would identify the faulty component). Unfortunately, your model of autopilot can no longer be serviced, making options for restoring autopilot capability onboard more limited.
02-28-17, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-17 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you.
02-28-17, 04:08 PM
You're welcome.