Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPX5 with ES78
02-21-17, 02:56 PM
SPX5 with ES78
I have a 2010 Jeanneau sailboat with an existing Seatalk ng backbone and a standalone SPX5 with an ST6002. I have already added an es78 at the wheel and 3 i70s displays above the companion way. These all work very well and are reading my depth, wind, speed, etc just as they should.

My question is about integrating my autopilot controls with the es78. I noticed the SPX5 has a seatalk ng port and I understand how to hook it up, but am wondering what functionality this will give me and if I should keep the ST6002 wired over seatalk or install a new p70s over seatalk ng.

Also, will the fluxgate sensor attached to the autopilot work as a heading sensor so my es78 will display laylines.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-17, 05:17 PM
RE: SPX5 with ES78
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum memornix,

General comment: When interfacing a SPX autopilot course computer via SeaTalkng to a Raymarine MFD, it is very important that each device which is or will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng Backbone be operating with the latest available Raymarine product software. Most devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface, including the SPX autopilot course computers, are designed be updated by a Raymarine MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface which has also been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q1. What functionality this (the MFD's Autopilot Control feature) will give me.
A1. The Autopilot Control feature of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs will permit the MFD to command the autopilot into its primary modes (Standby, Auto, and Track) as well as to command dodging (incremental steering changes to port or starboard). The Autopilot Control feature is covered in detail within Chapter 7: Autopilot control of the LightHouse II Release 17 Operating Instructions.

Q2. should keep the ST6002 wired over seatalk or install a new p70s over seatalk ng
A2. If keeping the ST6002, then it would be recommended that it be disconnected from the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port and that it instead be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been installed within the SeaTalkng backbone. Doing so will maximize the amount of data available to the ST6002, as the SPX autopilot course computers were not designed to be SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging devices. The primary advantage of the p70 autopilot control head would be aesthetics and a more user friendly configuration/command interface.

Q3. Will the fluxgate sensor attached to the autopilot work as a heading sensor so my es78 will display laylines?
A3. When interfaced to the autopilot course computer via SeaTalkng and both the MFD and autopilot course computer have been updated with the latest software, the MFD will have access to heading data and the MFD's Advanced Sailing features will be available to systems which have additionally been interfaced to sources of wind, speed through water, and GPS data.
02-21-17, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the info, I had already updated everything when I installed it, but I have not updated the SPX5. That being said, when I look for the download, I only see the install for the SPX from a/c/e/gs displays but no es. Is this correct and should I use that download in version 7?
02-22-17, 10:56 AM
memornix,

For the purpose of software updates, the eS-Series MFDs fall into the same product category as do the a-Series MFDs, c-Series MFD, e-Series MFDs, and gS-Series MFDs. Within the SPX Autopilot Course Computers Software Update web page, the V7 Download link listed beneath the a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs would be used to update the SPX Autopilot Course Computer via an eS-Series MFD which has been updated with v17.46 a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software.
02-23-17, 08:37 AM
Thank you, everything is updated now and seems to be working fine.
02-23-17, 09:03 AM
You're welcome.