Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequent No Pilot Alarms
02-28-17, 05:04 PM
Frequent No Pilot Alarms
Attached jpg shows the system set up.
Q1 :
Problem is that the auto pilot SPx10 very frequently alarms No Pilot on both p70r display and MFD, very annoying. It lasts from 15 sec to 1min or so, then it is good for a while again, can be 15 min or less.

Q2:
Have been thinking of upgrading software on MFD to allow for Autorouting, would that still work with SPx10 once I get it to be reliably working.

Hans

Aqua
Pursuit ST310
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-17, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-17 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Frequent No Pilot Alarms
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hans,

The problem reported could well be the result of incompatible software within your Raymarine products ... most likely the software within your SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. It is recommended that the software within each of the following products be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates:
- e125 MFD
- p70R Autopilot Control Head
- SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- SPX10 Autopilot Course Computer

It is then recommended that the MFD's Data Sources feature (HOME->SET-UP->DATA SOURCES) be used to specify which source of GPS data will be used by the system. Should the problem persist after having performed the recommended software updates and configuration setting, then please respond accordingly and include an updated screen snapshot of the MFD's Select Devices list..

The aforementioned software updates will ensure compatibility with the SPX autopilot as well as any SeaTalk devices within the system.
03-01-17, 12:31 PM
Thank You, will attempt the SW upgrades and check back in.

Hans

Aqua
Pursuit ST310
03-01-17, 02:23 PM
You're welcome.
03-03-17, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-17 01:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
chuck,
i did all upgrades, no problems except the spx10 is not showing up as an option to upgrade. I have on the msd card downloaded the new version 3.05 of software (unzipped). when checking card for upgrades available on mfd it doesnt show any new versions or even any current version for SPX it only shows spxx.

If I pull the GPS antenna off the STng converter it gives me an alarm that no speed data available.

How can I get to the spx to upgrade it also?

Hans

Aqua
Pursuit ST310
03-03-17, 02:00 PM
Hans,

As you can see from the MFD's Select Devices list, the software within your SPX autopilot course computer is not current. Unlike more current product design, the the SPX autopilot course computers and ST70 Autopilot Control Heads cannot be updated via the Check Card For Updates feature. Instead, the microSD memory card containing the software update files would be inserted into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader prior to powering the MFD ON. In the case of older product designs, it is sometimes necessary to reduce the list of devices which are interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone to the MFD and the device being updated.
03-04-17, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-17 08:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks, the upgrade worked and now spx10 is at 3.05 also and I did calibrate it all at sea this morning but I am still getting these random No Pilot warnings. Got them several times during calibration and did always start all over again until it said complete. Will let it be for now unless there is some other obvious fix for it.
Will install a Navionics P+ chart and see how it all works when the winds die down some.

Hans

Aqua
Pursuit ST310
03-04-17, 09:10 PM
Hans,

There would appear to be a communications issue within your SeaTalkng backbone, the autopilot course computer, or autopilot control head. What is the power source for your SeaTalkng backbone SPX10 course computer, SeaTalkng Power Cable, or both)? If the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable is unplugged from your SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, do your SeaTalk devices remain powered ON? How many SeaTalkng Termination Plugs are installed within your system's backbone. Finally, I would additionally recommend that you attach a system diagram with to your response.
03-05-17, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-17 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Enclosing schematic,
Powersources are: SPX gets 12V power in and out to Pump.
SeaTalkng converter gets power from SPX, assumption since disconnecting the SPX connection puts out green light.
The other SeaTalkng block gets power in with Black/Red (B/R) seatalk cable.
There is on termination plug on each block.
Connection between blocks with Black/Blue cable.

If I try to select GPS source on MFD I get error message "Data Selection not Possible" THe following deveices are preventing data source selection spx10 S/N
please see your user manual for details.

When disabling internal GPS nothing seemed to happen, could it then get the GPS info from antenna that is connected to STng. (not sea trialed anything today)
If I disconnect the GPS antenna connected to STng I get message of no heading info.

Appreciate all the help

H

Aqua
Pursuit ST310
03-06-17, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-17 03:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hans,

Q1. SeaTalkng converter gets power from SPX, assumption since disconnecting the SPX connection puts out green light.
The other SeaTalkng block gets power in with Black/Red (B/R) seatalk cable.
A1. It is incorrect for the SeaTalkng backbone to be powered from two points as you have suggested. It is also generally not recommended that a SPX10 Autopilot Course computer supply power to a STng backbone featuring any SeaTalkng devices other than the autopilot control head, autopilot course computer, and Data Master MFD. Should a system feature additional SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices as does yours, then the SPX10 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalkng POWER switch should be configured to the OFF position. The spur within the SeaTalkng backbone chosen to connect the SeaTalkng Power Cable's to the should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN Load, whereas the spur chosen within your diagram is at one of the extreme ends of the backbone. Additionally, should switching the SPX10's SeaTalkng POWER switch OFF as you have indicated cause the ST-STng Converter's STATUS LED to cease being illuminated, then it would indicate a problem with SeaTalkng backbone cable connecting ST-STng Converter to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and/or a problem with the backbone socket of the ST-STng Converter or the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector (i.e. the ST-STng Converter should receive power via the backbone from the SeaTalkng Power Cable).

Q2. If I try to select GPS source on MFD I get error message "Data Selection not Possible" THe following deveices are preventing data source selection spx10 S/N
please see your user manual for details.
A2. In systems having products which block source selection, briefly disconnecting the blocking device from the backbone until Data Source Selection is completed may be used to work around this feature. Alternatively, the internal GPS sensor may be switched OFF as you have indicated that you have done.

Final note regarding your diagram: What is the box labeled "Yamarin box"?

Final note: While there definitely appears to be an issue with the backbone as indicated within the response to Q1, one last item to check is the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs for 120 ohms of resistance between its CANH and CANL pins.