Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ray240 showing "no gps"
03-05-17, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-17 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ray240 showing "no gps"
In my 2006 Sea Ray 44DB I have a factory installed Raymarine E120 (classic) chartplotter with all the bells and whistles (radar, autopilot, DSM300, etc). Everything works well but I have a couple of minor annoyances that I'm looking for advice on:

1. Ray240 VHF radio works well but is not talking to the chartplotter, says "no gps" on VHF display, so the DSC feature is not as useful.

This boat had the helm disassembled during transport, so something may have gotten wired wrong.

I'm a techie, but I know very little about the communications between these types of devices. I cannot find a wiring diagram from Sea Ray, so I'm looking for ideas.

How is the Ray240 and e120 normally interfaced?

Thank you.

Scottl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-17, 03:22 PM
RE: ray240 showing "no gps"
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Scotti,

Q1. Ray240 VHF radio works well but is not talking to the chartplotter, says "no gps" on VHF display, so the DSC feature is not as useful.

This boat had the helm disassembled during transport, so something may have gotten wired wrong.

I'm a techie, but I know very little about the communications between these types of devices. I cannot find a wiring diagram from Sea Ray, so I'm looking for ideas.
How is the Ray240 and e120 normally interfaced?

A1. Although the Ray240 also features a SeaTalk communications interface, it is generally recommended that Ray240 be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 source of GPS data. Most commonly, the NMEA 0183 OUT leads of the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 IN leads of the VHF radio. The MFD's NMEA 0183 port would additionally need to be be configured to "NMEA 4800." Naturally, the MFD would have to be powered ON and would additionally need to be receiving a GPS position FIX for the Ray240 to receive GPS data.
03-12-17, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-17 08:26 AM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ray240 showing "no gps"
Thanks chuck. Boat is in storage so I'll check out how it's wired in a few weeks.

Scott