Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Transducer & 290 Wind pod
03-07-17, 11:02 PM
Wind Transducer & 290 Wind pod
Advice needed - Wind direction will not match actual Wind direction – it does move, seemingly randomly (and wind speed does show). After attempts to calibrate to the wind direction manually, the indicator does not stay aligned to the actual Wind.

This is a ST290 System, installed in 2003. Prior Depth pod updates, but I don’t recall ever updating the Wind pod.

Wind Pod Voltage to Shield, as follows
Red 5.28V
Blue 2.45
Green 3.45
Yellow 2.2

Do these figures provide any help in whether it is the transducer or the Wind pod that is malfunctioning? Thanks for your help.

mattsail
Starburst
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-17, 11:34 AM
RE: Wind Transducer & 290 Wind pod
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mattsail,

It appears that the power output (red to black) of the pod is low ... the expected voltage level should be approximately 8 VDC for a 12V input to the pod. Should the input voltage level to the pod be 12VDC, then it would appear that the pod has suffered a failure and should be serviced/replaced.
03-09-17, 09:57 AM
Thanks,
I'll plan to send the Wind pod for checkout / updating.

Would you suggest I include the wind transducer also? (it's off the mast at present).
I could recheck the Red to Blk voltage at the pod (with transducer disconnected), since I can't climb the mast until relaunching.

FYI, I was considering replacing that transducer due to age - 13 years old. Sounds like that might not help much.

Matt
03-09-17, 11:24 AM
Matt,

When easily accessed/removed, it is generally a good idea to send wind transducers along with wind pods/instruments to be bench tested/serviced.