Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New mfd review
03-09-17, 07:21 PM
New mfd review
Hello, I'm ready to purchase new a77 mfd. I have several questions to verify what I think I know,
1) Should I use the Raymarine P79 transducer for in the boat install, looking through the fiberglass?
2) Does the transducer cable directly connect to back of mfd?
3) I have a Standard Horizon Matrix GX 2200 that receives AIS, does not transmit AIS. Can I directly cable the radio AIS output to the mfd.? 0183 protocol and 38.4k baud output. Suggested cable ?
4) How do I install navionics charts, micro card or wifi like my iPad?
5) Will the mfd blue tooth allow my iPad to see the display on the mfd and interact with it?

Thanks for you comments or suggestions. Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-17, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-17 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: New mfd review
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

Q1) Should I use the Raymarine P79 transducer for in the boat install, looking through the fiberglass?
A1) The A80170 version of the P79 In-Hull Transducer (as well as any of the transducers found here) is designed to be directly mated to the TRANSDUCER socket of an ax7/cx7/e7D/ex7/eSx7 MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2) Does the transducer cable directly connect to back of mfd?
A2) See the response to Q1.

Q3) I have a Standard Horizon Matrix GX 2200 that receives AIS, does not transmit AIS. Can I directly cable the radio AIS output to the mfd.? 0183 protocol and 38.4k baud output. Suggested cable ?
A3) The a6x, a7x, and AXIOM MFDs feature Ethernet and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interfaces. The a6x, a7x, and AXIOM MFDs do not feature NMEA 0183 communications interfaces. Should a NMEA 0183 device need to be interfaced to one of these MFDs, then a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone would need to be installed onboard the vessel. The MFD and a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device would then be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device will then bridge data from the NMEA 0183 device to the SeaTalkng backbone for use by the MFD and any other SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device which has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. One of the most commonly recommended NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging devices supporting bridging of AIS data is the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS.

Q4) How do I install navionics charts, micro card or wifi like my iPad?
A4) Cartography is not installed within the MFDs memory ... it accesses data from a compatible chart card which must be present within the MFD's memory card reader. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q5) Will the mfd blue tooth allow my iPad to see the display on the mfd and interact with it?
A5) The MFD's Bluetooth communications interface is not used for this purpose. When using the RayControl Raymarine Mobile app or Navionics Boating app, the tablet's Wi-Fi communications interface must be configured to connect to the MFD's Wi-Fi communications interface.
06-14-17, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-17 08:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q5 continued:
Referencing A5 below, I just had installed a new Axiom 9" with Quantum radar (hardwired). How does one configure the interface of both the Axiom and my IPAD. I downloaded the RayControl App but get the error message on the Axiom that it does not pick up a signal. I have wifi enabled on IPAD
06-14-17, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-17 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Kevin,

Q1. Referencing A5 below, I just had installed a new Axiom 9" with Quantum radar (hardwired). How does one configure the interface of both the Axiom and my IPAD. I downloaded the RayControl App but get the error message on the Axiom that it does not pick up a signal. I have wifi enabled on IPAD
A1. Per Raymarine's Mobile app web pages, these apps are designed for use with Raymarine's c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and Wi-Fi equipped a-Series MFDs. Raymarine is currently developing apps for Wi-Fi equipped MFDs running LightHouse 3 software.