Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for upgrade recommendations
03-16-17, 03:22 PM
Looking for upgrade recommendations
Hello All,
I have a 2001 Searay Amberjack fully equipped with Raymarine electronics, however they are very old. Original equipment. Any suggestions for replacement would be greatly considered. Have the following:
DSM30
RAY 210
C70
NAV 398
ST60
RS130

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-17, 08:24 AM
RE: Looking for upgrade recommendations
DSM30 - Not required sonar built into a97
RAY 210 - Ray60 VHF
C70 - a97 MFD (built in sonar and can use current transducer with adapter cable E66066)
NAV 398 - (no longer needed a97 has built in GPS)
ST60 - i50 or i60
RS130 - you can still use this antenna, but the a97 has a built in 10Hz GPS
03-17-17, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-17 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the suggestions. Will the built-in GPS work if I flush mount the unit? If I wanted to add a Radar or upgrade the RS130 what would you recommend? Since I am upgrading the hardware, would it not make sense to also change the Transducer? The vessel is mostly used for cruising and long weekend trips with limited inshore/offshore gulf fishing.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
03-20-17, 11:15 AM
Cppjjc,

Q1. Will the built-in GPS work if I flush mount the unit?
A1. While flush mounting (unless installed within a metal or carbon fiber mounting surface) wil not typically affect GPS satellite signal reception, other obstructions may. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. A Raystar 150 GPS Sensor would be used to address installation locations which interfere with the MFD's reception of GPS satellite signal.

Q2. If I wanted to add a Radar?
A2. Should fishing be a priority, then a HD Radome or HD / SuperHD Open Array Radar would be recommended to support spotting birds. Should fishing not be a priority, than a Quantum or HD Radome woudl be recommended.

Q3. Since I am upgrading the hardware, would it not make sense to also change the Transducer? The vessel is mostly used for cruising and long weekend trips with limited inshore/offshore gulf fishing.
A3. What model of transducer is presently installed onboard the vessel? Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
03-20-17, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-17 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the input. I will check to see which Transducers are installed. I know for certain there is an Airman P66 on the Transom. However, I also believe there is a Thru-Hull transducer. Will verify. One additional question comes to mind based on my shopping experience this weekend. In looking for the recommended A97, I was informed that this item is end of Sale. If this is the case, would it not make sense to upgrade to the new Axiom? Sure, the A97 would minimize the number of items I would need to replace, but given that I cannot be sure on the working health of all these components, it might just make sense. I plan on keeping the boat for at least another 5 years or so.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
03-20-17, 01:50 PM
Cppjjc,

While Raymarine has not yet announced retirement of the a-Series MFDs, they currently offer a tremendous bang for the buck, as the a-Series MFD product line is quite mature. However, if seeking to get the longest length of support, parts, and service (not to mention features and integration with future products) then purchasing the most recently introduced MFD design, in this case AXIOM, would be recommended.