Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfaceing EV 200 to older Raymarine Displays/ GPS
03-16-17, 08:15 PM
Interfaceing EV 200 to older Raymarine Displays/ GPS
I just installed a new EV 200 system pack auto pilot system to my 30 ft. twin engine inboard boat. I have 2 older Raymarine displays on the boat that I really like. I have a color L770 PLUS fish finder/chart plotter linked together with a color RL80C PLUS PATHFINDER radar that I transfer my chart plotter data to and overlay radar on to. I also have a older Raystar 120 GPS supplying GPS data to both units. Everything communicates very well with each other on the older Sea Talk system. That older Sea Talk of coarse has its own 12 volt power source introduced to that network to make it work.

I just want to double check if I can connect this new pilot to this older display/GPS system. I think I need to use the E22158 converter kit you offer. Correct? (connected by a short backbone cable to the new Sea Taking block that makes the system pack work) If so, I know you can only have one 12 volt power supply to the network. Do I then connect the 12 volt power to this converter and then not the EV 200's Sea Talking network? (consisting of ACU 200, EV-1 and a P70Rs control head) Will this power everything on the old Sea Talk system and the new Sea Talking system both? That isn't too many pieces linked all together on one overall big system?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-17, 08:13 AM
RE: Interfaceing EV 200 to older Raymarine Displays/ GPS
The converter is what is required to have your EV pilot talk to your seatalk system. The ACU will power the converter and out from there it will put power out to the seatalk bus (In this scenario you would remove current power source to Seatalk). If all you have on the Seatalk bus is the 2 Pathfinder displays and the RS120 this setup will be fine. If you have any more Seatalk devices on that bus I would cut the the seatalk converter cable from the seatalk to ng converter and cut the red wire. this will allow you to keep your current power source for seatalk and your power source for Seatalk NG.
04-02-17, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-17 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I actually have another Raymarine auto pilot hooked up to the older Seatalk bus's along with those 2 Pathfinders & RS120. It's a ST6001+ head with a 150G Course Computer. Originally I had two auto pilots on the boat. The hydraulic lines were tee'd and had 2 separate pumps. The other pilot was a real old Cetrek but I kept it around for a back up auto pilot till it recently quit working. The Cetrek was not interphased with anything. What I did now was tear the old Cetrek out including the pump and using those lines replaced it with the new EV200. This new EV200 with its P70Rs head will now be my new primary auto pilot but I would like to still keep the ST6001+ for a back up system. I run trolling fishing charters and it's imperative to have a functioning auto pilot no matter what!

I guess my question now is since this ST6001+pilot was interphased to the Sea Talk system unlike the old Cetrek, can I leave it plugged into the Sea Talk network now that I have it connected to the Sea Talkng network via the converter and going to the new EV 200 pilot? It would be nice in a pinch if I had to go back to this older Raymarine pilot that it were still linked to my plotters & GPS, not just the new system. If permitted to be left in the overall network, which autopilot would the plotters recognize or would it not matter till one or the other gave the command to "go to"? Also, if permitted to be left linked up, that wouldn't be too many Sea Talk devises powered only via the converter? (I thought I read that you can have up to 5 Sea Talk devices) As suggested, independent power to the Sea Talk network has been disconnected and now everything is being powered from the converter by way of a spur and directly from the ACU. Thanks - Walt
04-03-17, 10:39 AM
Walt,

While it is possible to utilize a ST6001+ as an additional autopilot control head within the system, the autopilot course computer which had been previously used with the system must be disconnected from the system.

Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will support a SeaTalk bus comprised of up to five devices having a SeaTalk communications interface. Should more than five such devices be in the SeaTalk bus, then the SeaTalk bus will need to be divided, such that each bus will not exceed this maximum. Each bus will then be interfaced to a dedicated SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which will in turn be added to the existing SeaTalkng backbone.
04-03-17, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-17 12:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I figured as much. I have pulled both Sea Talk plugs from the back of the ST60001+ head. That in turn should remove the old course computer from the network, correct?

Also, I always see you repeatedly mention that the Sea Talkng network "should" be powered from a separate 12 volt source and not via the ACU. In FLOB's previous reply to me he suggests powering the converter from the ACU. That is how I have it presently and everything appears to be working fine. As I mentioned previously the old power source to the Sea Talk side of the system has been removed and now both systems are powered with the 12 volt originating from the ACU box. Why would Raymarine have the option with the power switch back there if we are not supposed to use it?

Again, thanks for all the help! -Walt-
04-03-17, 12:52 PM
Walt,

Q1. I have pulled both Sea Talk plugs from the back of the ST60001+ head. That in turn should remove the old course computer from the network, correct?
A1. Possibly ... it depends upon how your vessel's SeaTalk bus as been cabled. For example, should the equipment have been installed in a daisy chain such that the ST6001+ was located between the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and the autopilot course computer, then the answer would be YES. However, should the equipment have been installed in a parallel manner or should the autopilot course computer be located between the ST6001+ and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter then the answer would be NO.

Q2. The provision for some autopilot course computers and some ACUs to supply power to a SeaTalkng backbone,
- power output may be more limited
- the autopilot course computer may not be located near the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load
- the autopilot must be powered ON whenever communications between devices within the SeaTalkng network need occur and/or whenever devices designed to be powered via a SeaTalkng backbone need occur.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. While it is technically possible for some autopilot course computers and ACUs to power a SeaTalk bus or SeaTalkng backbone, it is not considered to be a best practice to do so, as a single point failure (i.e. of the autopilot course computer or ACU) will result in loss of communications within the network and/or operation of devices designed to be powered via a SeaTalkng backbone or SeaTalk bus. Creation of multiple circuits as indicated within the referenced FAQ would also permit applications in which power consumption was a concern to easily switch unneeded components OFF while utilizing other components within the system.
05-01-17, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-17 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK the boats finally in the water and after a quick spin, everything seems to work well EXCEPT when I go to use the "track" feature to go to a waypoint that I have selected from the chart plotter to go to, the auto pilot beeps an alarm and says "No Navigation data" Even though the chart plotter plots the dotted line to the waypoint. I don't understand it. The data boxes on the PR70Rs head are all showing that it is receiving accurate information from both the fish finder and chart plotter including "Bearing to waypoint", Cross track error" & "Distance to waypoint" to the waypoint that I have selected on the chart plotter. Any ideas?

On a side note, I'm not certain I did the sea trials correctly. I don't see the option for a sea trial wizard. This unit just auto learns, correct? ... as long as the pilot has power whether it's in auto or not? Regardless, I did a nice circle with power to the unit on but not engaged and then followed up with another circle with the pilot on using the rotary knob. The boat did a perfect circle as directed via the rotary knob. Line of site seems to be a nice striate path with the boat in auto also.

One final question, I can't seem to change my PR70sr units measurements from nautical mile to statute miles. No matter what I do, it reverts back to nautical miles. I have my chart plotter/ GPS set to statute miles. The PR70Rs seems to be taking the statute mile values from the chart plotter and converts them to the nautical mile values and displays that info on the heads screen. That's not what is preventing the track function from working, would it? Thanks -Walt-
05-02-17, 10:49 AM
Walt,

Q1. Everything seems to work well EXCEPT when I go to use the "track" feature to go to a waypoint that I have selected from the chart plotter to go to, the auto pilot beeps an alarm and says "No Navigation data" Even though the chart plotter plots the dotted line to the waypoint. I don't understand it. The data boxes on the PR70Rs head are all showing that it is receiving accurate information from both the fish finder and chart plotter including "Bearing to waypoint", Cross track error" & "Distance to waypoint" to the waypoint that I have selected on the chart plotter. Any ideas?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. On a side note, I'm not certain I did the sea trials correctly. I don't see the option for a sea trial wizard. This unit just auto learns, correct? ... as long as the pilot has power whether it's in auto or not? Regardless, I did a nice circle with power to the unit on but not engaged and then followed up with another circle with the pilot on using the rotary knob. The boat did a perfect circle as directed via the rotary knob. Line of site seems to be a nice striate path with the boat in auto also.
A2. Unlike prior generations of Raymarine autopilots, Raymarine's Evolution autopilots do not have a SeaTrial mode. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing addressing the cruise to be taken following execution of the Dockside Wizard to determine the deviation field sensed to by the EV-1/EV-2 Sensor Core.

Q3. One final question, I can't seem to change my PR70sr units measurements from nautical mile to statute miles. No matter what I do, it reverts back to nautical miles. I have my chart plotter/ GPS set to statute miles. The PR70Rs seems to be taking the statute mile values from the chart plotter and converts them to the nautical mile values and displays that info on the heads screen. That's not what is preventing the track function from working, would it?
A3. This issue may be resulting from not having the latest software installed within the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the software of the system's Raymarine products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface may be updated or downgraded.
05-05-17, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-17 08:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
A3. How do I check on my PR70Rs what software version is on the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter? What is the correct latest version?

Thanks - Walt
05-05-17, 09:06 AM
Walt,

The following command sequence executed via an Evolution autopilot control head will provide access to the versions of software within all devices on the SeaTalkng backbone (including the autopilot control head): MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM. As indicated within the FAQ referenced within my last response, the recommended version of Evolution autopilot control head software for a system such as yours is v2.17. Information concerning the latest version of Evolution autopilot control head software may be found here.