Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom and SeaTalk(1)
03-22-17, 09:29 AM
Axiom and SeaTalk(1)
I am contemplating buying a new Axiom 9 and Quantum radar for my boat and would like to know how I can use some of the components I already have in place.

Specifically, I have no need for a “fish finder”. Since I only need depth and temperature numbers I would like to use the depth and temperature transducers currently connected to my ST40 instruments. I have two ST40 displays, connected by SeaTalk(1). Can I connect the Axiom to the SeaTalk(1)? Is the “Raymarine SeaTalk(1) to SeaTalkng converter kit Part Number: E22158” the correct way to do this?

In the future I may want to connect additional NMEA2000 devices to the system. I see in the Seatalkng reference manual that NMEA2000 cannot be used if SeaTalk(1) is used (p.6 of Document 81300-1). Is there a way around this limitation?

Also please confirm that to use other (non-SeaTalk(1)) NMEA0183 devices I should use a bridge such as the Actisense NGW-1

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-17, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-17 12:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom and SeaTalk(1)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum npoduje,

Q1. Can I connect the Axiom to the SeaTalk(1)?
A1. An AXIOM MFD features Ethernet, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, and USB communications interfaced. As such, AXIOM MFDs must be adapted to communicate with devices having a SeaTalk communications interface, but lacking a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications interface.

Q2. Is the “Raymarine SeaTalk(1) to SeaTalkng converter kit Part Number: E22158” the correct way to do this?
A2. Yes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. In the future I may want to connect additional NMEA2000 devices to the system. I see in the Seatalkng reference manual that NMEA2000 cannot be used if SeaTalk(1) is used (p.6 of Document 81300-1). Is there a way around this limitation?
A3. Unfortunately, the SeaTalkng Reference Manual and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's Installation Manual have not been updated since their initial publication. SeaTalkng is an extension of the NMEA 2000 communications protocol. When updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be compatible with devices having a NMEA 2000 communications interface (cable adapter may be required depending upon the plug/socket design of the product). When updated with the latest software, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will also be compatible with many retired Raymarine autopilots having a SeaTalk communications interface. ST40 Instruments are among the devices having a SeaTalk communications interface which are supported by a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q4. Also please confirm that to use other (non-SeaTalk(1)) NMEA0183 devices I should use a bridge such as the Actisense NGW-1
A4. NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 / SeaTalkng data bridges are commonly used to bridge data between devices having a NMEA 0183 communications interface and Raymarine products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. Some of the more commonly used data bridges are manufactured by Actisense, Noland, Digital Yacht, etc..
03-22-17, 07:44 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

I am still not entirely clear regarding Q3. If I connect my ST40 via Seatalk(1) to the Axiom SeaTalkng using the E33158 Converter, will I also be able to connect another NMEA2000 device, e.g., Actisense EMU1 and use both?

A few more questions:

When will the “LightHouse 3 Advanced operations” document (referred to in the Axiom Basic Operating Instructions manual) along with an Axiom Installation manual be available?

Are dimensioned drawings of the CPT100DVS and CPT110 transducers available? What diameter [censored] will the transducer plug pass through (it seems large)? Is there a way to remove the plug shell to allow passing the cable through a smaller [censored]?

Thanks
03-23-17, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-17 09:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
npoduje,

Q1. I am still not entirely clear regarding Q3. If I connect my ST40 via Seatalk(1) to the Axiom SeaTalkng using the E33158 Converter, will I also be able to connect another NMEA2000 device, e.g., Actisense EMU1 and use both?
A1. Yes.

Q2. When will the “LightHouse 3 Advanced operations” document (referred to in the Axiom Basic Operating Instructions manual) along with an Axiom Installation manual be available?
A2. It is expected that the release of the "LightHouse 3 Advanced Operations" document will coincide with the release of the AXIOM MFDs. This document will be posted on Raymarine's web site.

Q3. Are dimensioned drawings of the CPT100DVS and CPT110 transducers available?
A3. The DownVision Thru-Hull Transducers CPT-70 / CPT-80 / CPT-110 / CPT-120 Installation Instructions may be found here. Section 3.8 provides dimensional drawings of the CPT-110 and CPT-120 transducers. The DownVision Transom Mount Transducers CPT-60 / CPT-100 Installation Instructions may be found here. Section 3.9 provides dimensional drawings of the CPT-100 transducer.

Q4. What diameter [censored] will the transducer plug pass through (it seems large)?
A4. Section 3.5 of the DownVision TM Thru-Hull Transducers CPT-70 / CPT-80 / CPT-110 / CPT-120 Installation Instructions specifies that a 32 mm (1-1/4 in) [censored] be drilled to accommodate the thru-hull transducer's shaft. The plug of the CPT-100, CPT-110, and CPT-120 requires that a 18mm (23/32”) [censored] be drilled should the transducer's cable need to be pass through a transom or bulkhead.

Q5. Is there a way to remove the plug shell to allow passing the cable through a smaller [censored]?
A5. No. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing modification / splicing a transducer's cable.