Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV 200 will not recognize rudder reference
03-27-17, 07:43 AM
EV 200 will not recognize rudder reference
On my new out of box system pack EV 200, the equipment will just not give me any rudder information even though we have the rudder sensor mounted and wired properly. It acts just like there is none installed in the system. All the software on the EV-1, PR70Rs and EV200 is up to date and the latest available. The pilot is installed on a 30 ft. twin engine inboard boat. The pump is a Type 1. Everything else seems to work fine.

When I use the dockside set up wizard on the PR70Rs I can get prompted for boat type and drive type, but then it just displays the values for a preset rudder angle (the 30 degrees) and pre set hard over times. No way, no how can I get it to give me the option to set up the rudder alignments (hard over port, starboard and to center the rudder). It skips over that part completely and goes straight to checking if the pump moves the rudder to port and starboard which mine does just fine. I have nothing on the displays rudder indicator bar either. I tried a factory reset but no difference.

After spending time on the Raymarine’s forums I saw Chucks instructions on how to check the rudder sensor > http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=95 He says that it should be:

Red to Green: 5K Ohms (+/- 10%) Steady
Red to Blue: Variable no less than 1.5K no more than 3.5K as the wheel is spun hardover to hardover.
Blue to Green: Variable no less than 1.5K no more than 3.5K as the wheel is spun hardover to hardover.

*The Red to Blue and Blue to Green may not go all the way to 1.5K or up to 3.5K, but whatever either is at midships, the deflection should be about equal to either direction(i.e. midships 2.5K if it goes up to 3.1K, it should go down to around 1.8)

Mine tests out to be:
Red to green is 4.86
Red to blue is 1.5 (center) and 1.2 hardover to port & 1.8 hardover to starboard
Blue to green is 3.3 (center) and 3.7 hardover to port & 3.0 hardover to starboard

Seems like the blue to green is ever so slightly out of value. I am at a loss as how to proceed. Thanks, Walt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-17, 12:25 PM
RE: EV 200 will not recognize rudder reference
Walt,

It is recommended that the autopilot be tested with another transducer (see message sent to you). Before doing so, it is recommended that all Evolution autopilot components be updated with the latest software and that a Pilot Factory Reset (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET) be performed, followed by the Dockside Wizard once again.
04-30-17, 05:39 PM
I had the same problem until I realized that the power to the ACU was on while I fitted the rudder sensor. Power cycling the ACU allowed it to recognize the sensor....problem solved.
05-01-17, 02:14 PM
Eeyore,

Thanks for the additional input.