Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STng Cabling
02-22-17, 05:47 PM
STng Cabling
Trying to set up Raymarine Model E70012 to run in my house during the winter so I may practice learning to use it. Have a DC power source (safe).

Thought all I needed was to run a GPS antenna outdoors. Purchased Raymarine model RS 120. It came with 6-pin cable.

Set all up, no GPS signal. : (

Go back, learn about this STng system. Maybe that's it. Purchase two STng spur cables one long (to antenna outdoors) one short to create little mini-network. Purchase a "Backbone Terminal" and a "T" and a terminal pin.

Final part came today. Inserted short spurt to primary unit, inserted end pin in other and...discovered remaining [censored] has 5 pins, not six.

I am confused. Now what do I do?

thanks all

Henry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-17, 10:56 AM
RE: STng Cabling
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Henry,

The Raystar 120 GPS Sensors haven't been sold by Raymarine since 2005. If seeking an external GPS Sensor for the an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD, then a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor or Raystar 130 GPS Sensor (recently retired) would have typically been recommended. These sensors were designed to have been interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD would also have been interfaced as a spur.

It is recommended that you verify the model of GPS Sensor actually purchased. The Raystar 120 GPS Sensor was produced in SeaTalk and NMEA 0183 version which may be differentiated from one another by either "SeaTalk" or "NMEA 0183" being printed on the vinyl medallion affixed to the upper shell of the GPS Sensor. While it is possible to interface a Raystar 120 NMEA 0183 GPS Sensor to a 12VDC power source and to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 or Port 2 input leads of the an a9x MFD, a12x MFD, or c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would have been required to interface the a Raystar 120 NMEA 0183 GPS Sensor to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD. Additionally, if interfaced to an external GPS sensor, the MFD's internal GPS sensor will either need to be configured OFF or the MFD's Data Sources feature would need to be utilized to specify that the external GPS sensor will be used to supply the system with GPS data. Finally, the external GPS sensor would need to be located where it will be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.

Accordingly, it is recommended that you verify the actual model of GPS sensor owned and should it be a Raystar 120 GPS Sensor, then please specify whether it is the SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 version of the sensor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply